Strong Showing Puts M. Golf in ECAC Tourney

By W. STEPHEN Venable

The Harvard men's golf team qualified to play in the ECAC championships for the first time in recent memory Tuesday in Methuen.

Harvard shot a 315 in the one-day qualifier to finish in a tie for third with Boston College and secure a spot in the upcoming championships.

The tournament was won by Salem State, with Dartmouth finishing in a controversial second place.

After having Brian Kim, the Big Green's number one golfer, disqualified for incorrectly replacing his marked ball on several occasions, Dartmouth was forced to count its four remaining scores toward the team total (usually one score from the five is dropped and the best four count).

That wasn't the end of the problems for Dartmouth as questions were raised about their fifth golfer's score also. But after much debate, his score was allowed to stand and Dartmouth kept its second-place finish.

More important, though, was the finish of the Harvard squad.

"This is a great thing for the Harvard golf team," junior co-captain Joel Radtke said. "No one card remember the last time Harvard qualified for the championships."

Harvard was led by junior Jun Choo, who fired a 77, and Radtke, who turned in a 78 on a cold, windy day in northern Massachusetts. Both Choo and Radtke finished in the top ten, which would have been high enough to qualify for the individual title at the ECAC championships.

The team also received an excellent score from freshman Andy Rourke, who shot a 79 in his first college tournament. The Harvard five was rounded out by sophomore Luis Sanchez's 81 and senior Jack Wylie's 82.

In looking ahead to the championships, Radtke was positive and upbeat.

"This is something extra for the year," Radtke said. "We are going to go there with no fear, have a good time, and see what happens."

The ECAC Championships take place next weekend at Colgate University with a practice round on Friday and tournament rounds on Saturday and Sunday.