Seniors Vie for Jobs In Recruiting Fairs

By Michael M. Luo

Even in a tight job market, the Harvard name apparently still sells.

After a dramatic 50 percent increase last year, the number of companies participating in Office of Career Services (OCS) recruiting events has hit a new high, said Judy Murray, OCS recruiting coordinator.

"There will be about 50 companies on campus this year," Murray said. "Last year, over 300 students participated in fall recruiting and many received offers."

McKinsey & Co., Morgan Stanley, Microsoft, Procter & Gamble and J.R. Morgan are just a few of the companies that will be seeking to hire Harvard students this fall.

"If you're smart enough to get into Harvard, you're smart enough to work here," said David McNulty, manager of undergraduate recruiting at Smith Barney, a major New York-based investment firm.

The Harvard name carries a lot of weight on Wall Street, McNulty said.

Students agreed that the name of the college on their transcript has been key in opening job opportunities.

"It's the Harvard name that gets you in the door," said Jeremy J. Ratke '95, who interned over the summer with Smith Barney and has received an offer from the firm for permanent employment following graduation.

Recruiters and students said Harvard's liberal arts curriculum prepares graduates well for work in the business world.

"They're coming for the liberal arts student, well-rounded and versatile," Murray said.

"We hire people from all different majors across the board. We get an entire cross-section of Harvard," said Jennifer Fulton, recruiting manager for Bain & Company, Boston-based consultants.

Charles S. Wu '95 said he appreciates the comprehensive nature of his education.

"I'm glad that Harvard does its best to steer people away from the a strictly pre-professional path," said Wu, who has also received a job offer from Smith Barney. "Harvard prepares you incredibly for the business world."

Crunch time has not begun yet for the young business jocks who want that Manhattan high rise apartment and the corner office, but students say pressure to land a job will certainly rise as graduation approaches.

"It hasn't gotten cutthroat competitive yet," said David A. Pentlow '95, "but I guess that might change as we get closer to June and some seniors don't have jobs for after graduation."

But most students said they are willing to brave the process because starting jobs in fields such as management consulting provide good grounding for a career in business--and high salaries as well.

"It's a great stepping stone and exposure into business in general," Wu said