Republican Club Drops Radcliffe Name

By The CRIMSON Staff

With only one member voting in opposition, the Harvard-Radcliffe Republican Club approved a new constitution last night which, among other things, shortened its name.

The group, now the Harvard Republican Club, also decreased the size of its executive board and reformed club election procedures.

Club president Bradford Campbell '95 said about 20 students cast affirmative votes.

The name change comes less than two years after the group inserted "Radcliffe" in its name in November 1992. Campbell said last week that the name change will better represent the organization.

"Men cannot get a Radcliffe diploma...and women get a diploma which says Harvard on it," Campbell said last week. "The [new] name more accurately reflects the membership."

The new constitution provides for six offices rather than 11, as the old one did. The positions of publicity, policy, program and membership directors, as well as one first-year at large seat, will be eliminated with the next club elections in December.

The board will maintain the current officers of president, vice president, secretary, treasurer, member-at-large and one first-year at-large seat.

Last night, the club elected William Zerhouni '98 to the first-year position, Campbell said.

In addition, the Republicans voted to reform election procedures in an effort to prevent attempts to stack an election meeting, Campbell said.

Under the new system, which will take effect with the December elections, candidates will declare their intention to seek a position three weeks in advance of the election. No person joining the club after the nomination deadline will be eligible to vote in the elections.

Campbell said the election reforms were intended to fend off members who would stack the election or liberal students who "might get the idea to take over the club or something."

He also said the new procedure will ensure a "much heartier strain of candidates who are much more committed to the club as a whole."