Matthews Hit by Two Unrelated Break-Ins

By Jeremy L. Mccarter

One intruder was arrested but another managed to evade the police on a bizarre Monday night in Matthews Hall.

Matthews residents reported two intruders to the Harvard University Police at 8:36 p.m. Officers responding to the call arrested David Boggess, 36, but could not locate the other man, who stole a walkman from a Matthews resident.

Harvard Police Lt. Lawrence J. Murphy said the two incidents were "totally separate."

Boggess was taken into custody by Harvard police and later arrested on an outstanding warrant from Georgetown, Mass., Murphy said.

Boggess was spotted by Matthews residents on the stairs of the Matthews North entryway, and later, according to resident Olivia M. Jenkins '98, "passed out on the steps outside."

It is not clear how Boggess gained access to Matthews Hall.

Boggess was transported to Georgetown to face earlier charges. That trial was scheduled to take place yesterday.

Harvard police were not as successful in capturing the other intruder.

The burglar, who was described by eyewitnesses as tall, skinny and brown-haired, claimed to be a Harvard student who was looking for his friend "Joshua Scott."

Tracy A. Eberhart '98, a Matthews resident, said the intruder knocked on her door and said that his car had been towed. When he asked for $9 to pay the fine, "my roommates said they didn't have any money and he left," Eberhart said.

As Eberhart's roommate closed the door on the intruder, Jenkins, who lives across the hall, opened her door to leave.

"When I left the room, I saw the man close the door of the room across the hall," Jenkins said. "He looked kind of scruffy. His clothes were dirty and he smelled bad."

Jenkins had left her door unlocked, since her roommate, Candice L. Iida '98 was sleeping inside. When she returned, she discovered that Iida had heard the man calling. "Joshua!" in their room and that she had heard the rustle of a plastic bag.

Jenkins then discovered that her walkman, which had been on her desk, was gone.

The burglar gained entry to Matthews when a student left the door open in order to hang a poster, according to Jenkins.

Murphy said yesterday that the Harvard police investigation is ongoing, but they have no leads as yet.

And Jenkins, for her part, has learned her lesson.

"When I went to the shower this morning, I locked the door," she said