Gridders Name New Captain

By Eric F. Brown

Junior Justin Frantz was named next year's football captain at the team's awards banquet Monday night.

Frantz, an inside linebacker, brought 98 ballcarriers down to the ground last season, third best in Harvard history.

"It's the greatest honor I could have been given by my teammates," Frantz said. "I'm really looking forward to next year.

"It's wonderful to be recognized by all my friends."

During the five-hour banquet, the team also awarded sophomore running back Eion Hu, the Ivy League Rookie of the Year, with the Frederick Greeley Crocker Award, generally regarded as the team's MVP.

The Leverett House resident gained 1,011 yards this year and is only the second running back in Harvard's history to break the 1000 barrier.

The remainder of the awards given out on Monday were for the current seniors.

Split end Mark Cote and defensive back David St. Peter shared the William Paine LaCroix Trophy, its first co-winners ever. Also, defensive end Doug Anderson won the Robert F. Kennedy award, and linebacker Bill Forlano garnered the Henry N. Lamar Award.

Finally, the Joseph E. Wolf Award was given center Toby Brundage.

All of the team's honors were decided by a vote of the players on Sunday.

In other league news, Anderson and Brundage were named along with senior offensive tackle Sean Hansen to the Epson Ivy Bowl team, where all-stars from the Ancient Eight are pitted against top Japanese players.