First-Year Claims Harassment at Coop

By Daniel S. Cohan

A Harvard Coop security officer tackled and handcuffed a first-year recently, thinking the student shoplifted a book, Coop officials confirmed yesterday.

Daniel G. Appel '98 raised the guard's suspicion as he left the Coop bookstore annex because he wasn't carrying his purchase in a bag. The guard asked for his receipt, but Appel said he didn't understand him, and fled the scene. The guard, whose name was not released, tackled Appel and handcuffed him.

Appel said he was outraged at the November 14th incident. But Coop president Jeremiah P. Murphy '72 said the guard correctly followed procedures and made no apologies about the affair.

Appel said he had no idea the man was a guard because he didn't show identification.

"I turned around and saw a burly guy reaching into his pocket, and I thought he could be reaching for a weapon," said Appel. "I was scared and dropped my book and tried to run away."

The guard then pursued Appel.

"He grabbed me and was wrestling with me and threw me to the ground--not violently, but forcefully," Appel said. "I was pretty banged up."

The guard showed identification only after Appel was handcuffed and a small crowd gathered to watch the scene, Appel said.

The guard then repeated his request for a receipt.

But, according to Appel, the guard refused to remove the handcuffs to let him get the receipt from his wallet.

"He took out my wallet and went through [it]," Appel said.

After finding the receipt in the wallet, the guard took Appel to Shawn O'Connell, the Coop's loss prevention manager.

"I expected an apology, but the manager was surprisingly unapologetic," Appel said. "He even asked why I didn't have a bag."

O'Connell refused to comment on the incident or to acknowledge that he has ever met Appel.

But Murphy confirmed Appel's version of the incident and said he has discussed the matter with O'Connell. Murphy and O'Connell both refused to identify the guard.

But Murphy said the officer was justified in his actions.

"The officer followed our procedure," Murphy said. "If you see a suspicious situation you should approach the customer. We do whatever's necessary to subdue someone [suspected of shoplifting]."

Murphy said not having a bag made Appel "suspicious." Appel said he refused a bag because his book was so small that he did not need one.

Appel bought the book Dora: An Analysis of a Case of Hysteria, by Sigmund Freud, for a first-year seminar.

"We feel comfortable in terms of what we did," Murphy said. "It was a misunderstanding on both sides. What [Appel] did--walking with open merchandise and without a bag--prompted someone to check up on him."

He said Appel would not have been apprehended if he had shown a receipt and not attempted to flee.

"Something has to happen to cause that next step of being apprehended," Murphy said.

Murphy refused to comment on whether internal action was being taken against the guard, saying it was an "internal matter."

Appel has not filed suit against the Coop and said he probably wouldn't because of the expense. He met with Assistant Dean of Freshmen Christina S. Griffith last week to discuss the incident. Griffith did not return repeated phone calls from The Crimson.

Murphy said he thinks this was the first time in several years that an innocent Coop shopper has been seized and handcuffed. But he said lack of electronic surveillance forces guards to investigate suspicious cases.

The Coop has fewer cameras and monitoring devices than most large stores, Murphy said.

"We don't want an environment that's prohibitive to customers," Murphy said.

But for Appel, the damage has been done.

"I'm never shopping there again," Appel said