Captains Courageous: Coughlin Leads to Success

By Bradford E. Miller

Captain Coughlin.

The name just oozes tradition, doesn't it?

All alliteration aside, Ben Coughlin epitomizes the calm, motivated team captain, a persona that seems to surface every year for the Harvard men's hockey team.

Always setting the example, always elevating his game another notch, Coughlin assumes the role of captain in the exact sense that it was established.

You mention individual goals, but Coughlin would rather emphasize that there is no "I" in "team."

"Being the elected captain, I try and set an example for the team since I'm expected to be a leader," Coughlin says. "I just try to approach each practice, each game with a great deal of enthusiasm."

Such an attitude seems just the tonic needed to soothe the team's national championship concerns. Granted, the regular season has yet to begin, but those are the pressures that face every Harvard captain, and Coughlin takes the reins as if brought up that way.

Even when discussing the goals of the team this year, Coughlin admirably focuses on pride and committment, rather than on specific, material accomplishments.

"The character of the team is important, taking pride in being disciplined, having focus," he says. "If we concentrate on those things, then we will be successful."

Put Me In Coach...

From such inauspicious beginnings in the sport as he had, one would have never predicted that Ben Coughlin would end up at Harvard, leading one of the country's finest hockey programs in their quest for the ultimate goals.

Baseball was the first sport of the Coughlin family, and it wasn't until the grand old age of six or seven when Ben finally laced up the skates--rather late to hit the ice in comparison to his Crimson teammates.

But Coughlin's work ethic made up for his tardy start.

"Baseball always came easy to me, but as I got older I worked harder at hockey," Coughlin said. "When the college decision came, I knew that I wanted to play hockey. I had second thoughts about not playing baseball and soccer, but looking back I wouldn't change a thing, no regrets."

Harvard certainly is happy with the decision. Coughlin has been one of the Crimson's most consistent performers, contributing 12 goals and 17 assists last year while playing in all of the team's 33 games.

The Lawrence native grew up in Concord and attended one of the nation's premier hockey prep schools, Belmont Hill. Success followed Coughlin there as well, for Belmont Hill won the prestigious prep school championship in his junior year and was one double-overtime goal away from another title in his senior year.

Athletes from sports around the globe agree that with the title of "captain" comes certain responsibilities and expectations. The captainship also has been known to change players' styles with their newfound title. But just how will the status change Coughlin?

"I definitely will need to step up and voice an opinion, and work harder so everyone else will step it up," he says. "My own confidence level has definitely been boosted, as well."

He's Not Number 13

The title has not changed Coughlin's superstitious habits, though. Along with other members of the team, Coughlin makes sure that his newly-taped sticks never touch the ground before game-time.

Did somebody say school spirit? Coughlin also makes sure that he watches "Crimson Character", a video detailing the story of Harvard's 1989 NCAA Championship season, before each game.

"I also don't like myself or other players saying that we're going to win (the national championship), we might jinx ourselves like baseball players saying 'the pitcher has a no-hitter,'" he said. (You can get the player out of baseball, maybe, but for Coughlin you can't get baseball out of the player.)

As Coughlin looks back on his illustrious Harvard career (of course hints that there will be more memorable moments to come), he fondly remembers his first game as a Yardling.

"It was my first regular season home game, against Union--I actually scored a couple goals," he says. "To play in a Harvard uniform and to actually contribute, that was pretty special."

Coughlin also remembers scoring an important goal against RPI in last year's ECAC tournament, firing a slap shot past Philadelphia Flyers' draftee Neil Little.

(Super-goalie Little is now playing alongside departed Crimson standout Aaron Israel for the Hershey Bears of the AHL)

One rough spot for Coughlin and the Crimson was last year's semifinals of the national championship, a 3-2 overtime loss to eventual champion Lake Superior State.

"[The game against Lake State] doesn't affect us too much now, but in the back of our heads its pretty significant, making us more determined to progress further," he says. "It was a difficult loss, but we have other things to focus on now."

Reflecting on his three years with Harvard hockey, a trend becomes remarkably clear to Coughlin.

"My freshman year we were eliminated by RPI early, my sophomore year Northern Michigan beat us in double-overtime in the quarterfinals, and then last year's loss came in the semis. It seems that every year that I've been here we've gotten closer and closer..."

But then Coughlin trails off.

He wouldn't want to jinx the team now, would he?