Icewomen Sluggish in 2-0 Victory over Weak B.C. Team

By Eric F. Brown

Hey, it's a win.

A team's record takes no account of the closeness of any games, and that is good news for the Harvard women's hockey team. Because last night the Crimson defeated Boston College, 2-0, in a game that Harvard would rather forget.

Harvard (2-1-1 overall, 2-1-1 ECAC) expected to mutilate B.C., who became a varsity team just this year. But once the puck was dropped, the Crimson learned that it wasn't going to be that easy.

"We didn't get up for [this game]," sophomore forward A.J. Mleczko said. "We definitely overlooked B.C., and we came out really sluggish."

Freshman Jen Bowdoin started in goal for the first time in her collegiate career. And Bowdoin was more than up to the task, blanking the Eagles.

But the offense had trouble putting the puck between the B.C. pipes all day.

Passes were made and shots were taken, but the Crimson could not develop many good scoring chances, settling for semi-decent slaps at the Eagle goaltender.

"I don't think that we were being that aggressive," Bowdoin said, "even though we had a lot of shots."

It wasn't until the second period that Harvard got on the board. Sophomore Lauren Turner scored the Crimson's first goal, and senior Diana Clark added the icing on the cake with a goal in the third.

The Crimson will take the 20 win, but it had wanted to completely dominate the Eagles.

"We could have played better," senior Stacey Kellogg said. "Thank God we won." Harvard  2 B.C.  0