Gregoire Violated UC By-Laws

Vice President Incorrectly Reinstated Liston to Council

By Tom HORAN Jr

While recently reinstating a representative to the Undergraduate Council, Vice President Brandon C. Gregoire '95 may have violated council by-laws, according to council members.

The reinstatement case concerns Eliot House representative Joshua D. Liston '95, a former council vice president, who was expelled from the council at last Sunday's meeting for excessive absences, according to Gregoire.

Section 22.7 of the council by-laws explicitly states that expelled members wishing to be reinstated must appear in person before the council's executive board at the board meeting immediately following their expulsion.

Gregoire, however, reportedly told Liston that a letter to the executive board would suffice in lieu of his attendance at their Wednesday night meeting, said Justin Label '97, chair of the student affairs committee.

"Josh was told that if he submitted a letter it would take the place of his being there," Label said yesterday.

Label said he believed Gregoire was merely following a precedent pre-dating the current presidency of David L. Hanselman '94-'95.

"In the past years people have submitted letters instead of going before the executive board in person," Label said.

Hanselman later confirmed Lable's statements regarding the letter.

"Brandon [Gregoire] had told [Liston] before the meeting that the letter would suffice," Hanselman said. "As far as Josh knew, his presence was not required."

Gregoire, however, has responded that any council members that discussed the specifics of the Liston case with the Crimson, have violated a council's executive order since that portion of the meeting was closed to the public.

"For a person to come out and leak information discussed in a closed portion of an Executive Board meeting is not appropriate and is furthermore grounds for reprimand and censure," Gregoire said. "All proceeding regarding reinstatement have been closed by Executive Order and by a unanimous consent of the Executive Board."

"Leaks like this could potentially allow the press to know about reinstatements before the council members," Gregoire added. "Executive board members should be able to speak freely in these meetings, when people leak information it undermines that spirit of openness."

Gregoire refused to comment on Liston's letter, citing a policy of confidentiality in the closed meeting.

In light of the Liston situation, some other council executives have come out in support of Gregoire.

"The initial decision to go on the record with this was not proper," said W. David Williams '95, chair of the finance committee.

The Executive Board has also recessed their Wednesday night meeting until Sunday to give Liston ample opportunity to present his case in person.

But Hanselman insists that given the unusual circumstances, Liston is not receiving special treatment.

"I think the executive board made their collective ruling strictly to be fair to another council member and not to show deference or favoritism to Josh Liston," he said.

Efforts to reach Liston were unsuccessful.