Professors Concerned By Weekend Bombing

By Haider A. Shirazi

At least one Harvard professor said he is concerned for his safety after federal officials said they suspected a serial bomber who has been known to target academics in the fatal bombing of a New Jersey man this weekend.

Thomas J. Mosser, an advertising executive, died in the Saturday mail bombing, which is thought to be the attacker's 15th. The bomber, who authorities blame for two deaths and 23 injuries since 1978, maimed a Yale assistant professor in 1993.

"Of course everybody's concerned," said one Harvard professor who requested anonymity. "I don't think that it's safe to assume that he isn't going to ever hit Harvard."

The professor said the bomber targets people involved with "high technology endeavors." Federal officials agreed.

Harvard University Police Department Lieutenant Lawrence J. Murphy said he was concerned about the bombing and would ask faculty members whether they wanted to hold series of discussions about safety.

After the Yale professor was injured in 1993, Harvard Police officials mailed safety information to professors.

"We could see if they want to do that whole mailing thing they did last year again," Murphy said. "I think everybody's aware, though."

One University official familiar with Harvard's applied science department said that Saturday's attack on a non-academic made it less clear whether the bomber would strike professors in the future.

The official, who requested anonymity, said he wasn't sure if he would encourage applied sciences faculty members to take extra precautions.

And many professors agreed they would not take further steps to counter the most recent bombing.

"Most of us already monitor our packages carefully. It's a matter of routine," said the professor who requested anonymity.

And one professor said there was not too much to worry about.

"I don't personally fear for my safety," Senior Lecturer on Computer Science Henry L. Leitner said.

Since Saturday's attack, Yale has given security training to more than 500 staff members, according to Cynthia Atwood, science information officer at Yale. And the precautions continue.

"We have a bomb specialist now," Atwood said. "We're not at all assuming we're immune from these attacks. We actually had one call today about a suspicious beeper found behind a filing cabinet. We've increased our vigilance."

Because the bomber has focused on universities and airlines in the past, bomb experts call him "Unabom."

This story was compiled using wire dispatches and the New York Times