Hurry Back, President Rudenstine

To The Editors:

Let me wish that our President returns to health rapidly and that the Corporation allows him all of the time needed to do so. We need him.

If The Boston Globe's account is accurate ("Students' World Largely Unshaken by Shift at the Helm," Dec. 1), Rudenstine is badly needed back at the helm.

As for the "World Turned Upside Down," I cannot help recalling that when I was at Harvard some of our fellow students with weaker minds and character used to complain about the administration's indifference to students. Now we have a student quoted in the Globe, who says "I can't think of anything it means for student life."

And another student is quoted as saying "I don't see it affecting my life much at all." The second guy quoted also allegedly said. "The curriculum we take is being decided by the faculty, so it's not a big issue if he can't function as he has been." Ye Gods!

When I was at the University, not only did we care about the President as a person and how he functioned as a president, but I--not the faculty--decided my course of study.

A few years back, students at certain colleges were trying to tell the faculties what to do. Now it seems that some have taken their thumbs from their noses and have put them back in their mouths.

A recent graduation exercise included a student banner hung from a balcony; WE LOVE YOU, PRES. RUDENSTINE. Perhaps a future banner will read WE LOVE OUR-SELVES. GET LOST, RUDENSTINE!

Hurry back, Rudy. We need your help in recruiting a better grade of students. David L McMurtrie '50