More Racist Graffiti Found in Mather

By David L. Greene

In the second racial incident in Mather House this semester, on Monday a house assistant superintendent found a scrawled slur on a wall above the entrance to the weight room.

House co-masters Sandra A. Naddaff and Leigh G. Hafrey, along with the house council, tutors and staff, issued a letter yesterday to residents denouncing the graffiti, which read "Die Nigger."

In the earlier incident, resident tutor David Porter, who is Black, found the word "nigger" scrawled across the name card on his door in early November.

"Nothing indicates that the same person is responsible for this latest racial slur," yesterday's letter said. "But we are clearly dealing with a repeat offense, which both broadens and intensifies the original result."

The perpetrator has not been, identified in either incident. Yesterday's letter urged anyone with information about either act to step forward and contact members of the House Council or House Staff.

"It is hard for me to believe that nobody else knows who committed the acts," senior tutor Mary Peckham said.

Most students did not know about the presence of the graffiti above the fitness room until today, when the letter was distributed to all house residents. House Council Chair Tom P. Gavin '95 said last night.

"Many didn't even know about it because it was six feet up," Gavin said.

Gavin said he hasn't had enough time to completely gauge students' reaction to the latest incident. Those he has talked with are "definitely shocked, disgusted and annoyed," he said.

"Students are generally outraged about this act," Peckham agreed.

Peckham said the words above the fitness room were removed immediately by the superintendent's office.

Both Peckham and Gavin said that if any future incident occurs the graffiti must be preserved in some way in order for authorities to examine it and attempt to determine if the same person is committing the acts.

"In the future, it will definitely be photographed," Peckham said. "This is now being treated as a crime."

The letter also indicated that the acts are now considered a crime, as they constitute "'hate' crime that, under certair, circumstances, could carry severe penalties inside the University and under the laws of the commonwealth of Massachusetts."

Beyond the disciplinary issues, however, everyone who has been informed of the latest incident voiced the desire to respond, the letter said.

"We feel the incident warrants an immediate and emphatic response," the letter said. "We can make this second racial incident Mather's last, by sharing our concerns and increasing our sense of community responsibility and vigilance."

The masters, staff, tutors and House Council have invited residents to meet in the dining hall tomorrow night from 8:30 to 9:30, to sign a statement of solidarity condemning the acts, the letter said.

"We want to involve students as much as possible," said Christina J. Gomez, resident race relations tutor. "We are a strong community and a vibrant house."

There will also be a meeting during the week of January 9 to "sort through the implications of the graffiti and discuss ways of making Mather a safe and happy place for all, particularly for those who have been most directly attacked," the letter said.

Gavin said these meetings are only a "first step," and possibilities for further action will be discussed.

"We need to reaffirm that we're trying to maintain an environment of mutual respect," Gavin said.

Some students have expressed concern that the perpetrator may be simply looking for the attention that the letter is providing.

"I hope the letter doesn't backfire," Mather resident and U.C. member R. Adam Molnar '96 said. Molnar said that it is doubtful, but possible that someone "just wants attention."

But Molnar said the tutors and masters are "handling [the situation] as well as they possibly can."

Harvard-Radcliffe Black Students Association Treasurer Joshua D. Bloodworth '97 applauded the house authorities' reaction to the slur.

"It's admirable that the tutors and masters are taking it seriously and doing something to stop it," he said. "But this is still happening in the 90s. You'll never be able to get rid of it."

The two recent slurs are not the first racial incidents in Mather House. Peckham said that the word "mulatto" was found on a wall in the low rise of the house around the time of the November incident.

Two years ago, someone painted a swastika on a house elevator door.

But Gavin said there is no evidence that there incidents constitute a pattern.

"We're not looking at a community-wide problem," Gavin said. "This is an isolated individual. I would not label it a 'Mather' problem.