New Leaders Say RUS Will Stay Non-Political

Group Wants to Become More Known

By Kristen Welker

The new leaders of the Radcliffe Union of Students (RUS) have pledged to continue the non-political stance the group adopted last year, when leaders dubbed it an "umbrella" organization dedicated to supporting viewpoints on all sides of debates over women's issues.

RUS elected its new officers Thursday. Sarah H. Lieberman '96 and Rachel H. Garlin '96 were appointed co-presidents, along with a slate of other officers.

All candidates were unopposed. Every candidate gave a speech and then left the room while the other members of the organization discussed the speech.

"It was not a blind vote," said incoming treasurer Corinne E. Funk '97.

Lieberman said she wants to make the group more known to those it serves. Every undergraduate woman pays RUS a fee as part of her term bill.

"We would like to increase the visibility and usefulness of RUS to women on campus, especially freshmen," Lieberman said.

But the underlying challenge for RUS members in the upcoming year will be to decide if they want to take a more political stance towards women's issues on campus.

Currently, RUS "gives grant money to causes as long as they foster debate about women," Funk said.

Last year's co-chairs, on their election, announced that the once-liberal organization would no longer represent that viewpoint.

Lieberman said the new co-chairs will likely not shift that stance.

"The direction I see for RUS is not being more political," she said. "We give grants to both Students of Choice and to Alliance For Life. RUS shouldn't be synonymous with any group, but can support every group."

Garlin agreed with her co-president about the group's future direction.

"I'm interested in opening up the organization and making it more inclusive of different people," she said.

According to Garlin and Lieberman, the group cannot support all women on campus if it takes a stance on political issues.

"There shouldn't be a party line for RUS," Garlin said. "All Radcliffe students should feel like they can be a part of it."

But Funk, who is also an editor of The Crimson, disagreed. She said the organization needs to become more politically aggressive to be effective in the upcoming year.

"We're not going to make a real difference until we define our mission," she said. Funk added that despite her desire for a political stance the main purpose of RUS is still "to be an umbrella organization for all women on campus."

Garlin estimated that there are about 60 active members in RUS, but she said all undergraduate women are officially a part of the group.

The other new RUS officers are: Elisa M. Leone '96, secretary and Kavita Kacholia '98, publicity director.