BSA to Hold Its First Kwanzaa Celebration

Will Observe Holiday of Ethnic Unity

By Anne L. Brody

On Sunday, the Harvard-Radcliffe Black Students Association (BSA) will sponsor its first celebration of Kwanzaa, the African-American celebration of ethnic unity which coincides with the harvest in many African countries.

"By bringing together the entire Harvard community, Kwanzaa will serve to promote the ideal of unity, an ideal of inherent social and political value," BSA President Kristen M. Clarke '97 said yesterday.

In recent years no group has organized a Kwanzaa ceremony aimed at undergraduates. A group of graduate students arranged a celebration to which undergraduates were invited, but few chose to attend, according to former BSA president Alvin L. Bragg '95. Tufts University students organized an observance as well. This year will mark the first time a Harvard undergraduate organization has sponsored Kwanzaa, Bragg said.

According to Bragg, few Harvard students celebrate Kwanzaa. In fact, Clarke said she did not know of anyone who celebrated it on campus last year. However, BSA is expecting a turnout of at least 60 people, said BSA Vice President Alison L. Moore '97.

Kwanzaa has been spreading as a tradition since the mid-1970s, when it was conceived by Maulana Karen ga, a professor at University of California at Long Beach. It is still mostly celebrated "by the intelligentsia [since] that is how information disseminates," said BSA Treasurer Joshua D. Bloodworth '97. The numbers observing are still growing very rapidly, Bloodworth added.

The ceremony on Sunday will be divided into four parts, Moore said. The first part will consist of speeches by the organizers on African-American cultural unity.

"Reflections and Remembrance" will characterize the second part, Moore said. Those present will reflect on strides made as a community in the past and will evaluate "where we are now and where we are going," she added.

Following this portion will be "Reassessment and Recommitment," in which the group will investigate more deeply "how to build up our community," Moore said.

During these two portions three speakers, including State Representative Gloria Fox, will address celebrants. The other two speakers, Brother Righteous and T.C., are from Zulu Nation, a non-profit grassroots organization that helps sponsor boys' and girls' clubs emphasizing education and non-violence.

The fourth section of the ceremony will be dedicated to "Rejoicing," according to Moore.

It will include the traditional Kwanzaa feast and gathering for which Brothers, a subdivision of Kuumba, will be singing. Members of Harvard African Students Association may perform traditional African dances as well.

Throughout this spiritual celebration, candles will be lit and dedicated to community ideals such as "unity, peace, and health," said Bloodworth