Fowl Play Around the Yard

By Janet C. Chang

Seen any chickens lately? If so, you're not alone. Random chicken sightings have been reported throughout the Harvard campus in the last few days.

But these feathered fowl are not running loose on their own. They are being exposed to student life at Harvard by newly inducted members of the Phoenix final club, in a rite of initiation.

To get the typical Harvard classroom experience, the chickens visited several core classes yesterday.

Two of the new Phoenix members and their feathered friends were spotted in the front row of Science B-15: "Evolutionary Biology," said John W. Turner '97.

Upon noticing, Baird Professor of Science Edward O. Wilson quipped, "Are we going to have a zoological lab after this?"

One of the chickophiles saw the opportunity to apply classroom knowledge.

"Can you tell us why chickens have an attraction for the other side of the road?" he asked.

"Well, that's positive road taxis," replied Wilson, tying it into his lecture on stimuli and response.

But the chickens were not welcomed everywhere.

Thomson Professor of Government Jorge I. Dominguez asked several chicken-bearers to leave Historical Study B-64: "The Cuban Revolution," according to Sam M. Rosaldo '98.

"One of the chickens [had been] making noises since the beginning of class," Rosaldo said. "Halfway through, professor Dominguez asked him to leave. I guess he got fed up."

About ten minutes later, a second chicken began to cluck and Dominguez asked its host to leave, Rosaldo said. Then a third started and was also kicked out of lecture.

"One kid's chicken never made noise, so he stayed the whole time," Rosaldo said.

To round out their schedules, the chickens visited Literature and Arts B-54: "Chamber Music," taught by Professor of Music Robert D. Levin, according to John M. Malleis '96.

"Four guys walked in with chickens wrapped in blankets," said Malleis. "It looked like they were going to release them and let them run amok."

To the pranksters' surprise, Professor Levin was introducing guest lecturer Betsy Jolas, composer in residence, Malleis said.

"He was talking about what an honor it was to have her," Malleis continued. "They tried to duck out. I think Levin would have torn their heads off."

A final sighting occurred late last night in The Crimson building. The bird had gotten lost on its way to the Crimson Sports Grille.