U.C. Grants Money to Student Groups

By Jeffrey N. Gell

The Undergraduate Council last night voted to allocate more than $33,000 in grants to 119 student organizations.

The largest single grant, $1500, went to fund t-shirts for the campus blood drive program.

Despite the size of the final allocations, the council provided only one-third of the $96,911.87 requested by student organizations.

"We're here to give these people some money whenever we can and as often as we can," said council member Christopher R. McFadden '97, who is also an editor of The Crimson.

The council also approved funding for a comedy night this Friday, shuttle service to Logan Airport before winter break and a semi-formal for first-years and their prefects on Friday, December 16.

Members from several groups complained at the meeting that they did not receive enough money, and so much of the debate focused on the grants of these particular groups.

"The Harvard Radcliffe Undergraduate Council is not supposed to be a clearinghouse," said council Vice President Brandon C. Gregoire '95.

"We are a student government, and we must be accountable," he added.

But Will E. Rehling '86-'95 said providing grants is one of the council's primary functions.

"The original purpose of the Undergraduate Council was to fund student organizations," Rehling said.

Mike C. Rauta '96, a member of the Cabot house committee, said since the council no longer regularly provides funding for house committees, Cabot did not receive an adequate grant to defray costs for the Quad-wide formal next week.

But the council voted not to increase its allocation to Cabot House.

Council Treasurer Jay Kim '95 said Cabot House should not have participated in the Quad-wide formal, given its poor financial condition.

"I question the wisdom of why to take on a project of this magnitude when you're in dire financial straits," Kim said.

Early in the meeting, council President David L. Hanselman '94-'95 raised the issue of the council's taking a position on President Neil L. Rudenstine's decision to fund ROTC independently.

In an interview with The Crimson, Hanselman said "there will be" a council position on the ROTC issue.

"Some of us on the council think it's a cop-out," Hanselman said.

Hanselman added that in his personal opinion, the University should support the ROTC program more actively.

But council member N. Van Taylor '96-'95 said he feels taking a position on ROTC will lead to conflict.

"If the U.C. takes a position on ROTC, half the campus will hate us and half the campus will love us," he said.

Also at the meeting, Campus Life Committee Chair Rudd W. Coffey '97 defended himself against charges raised by fellow council members that the falsely took credit for arranging the last-minute sale of Harvard-Yale football tickets.

"I have a right to voice the needs of my constituents to the administration. They told me they would meet and continue to discuss [extending the ticket deadline]," Coffey said. "None of us want a council plagued by divisions and infighting. Let's not second-guess each other."

In other business, Gregoire expelled five members--including former council Vice President Joshua D. Liston '95--for excessive absences.

He announced the reinstatement of two previously expelled council members, Victor M. Thorne '96 and Paul K. Kim '96