Crimson Stirs Up False U.C. Scandal

To The Editors:

In a recent article ("Tumultuous Week for Two Council Members," news story, Nov. 23) and editorial ("Coffey Takes Credit Where It Isn't Due," Opinion, Dec. 2), The Crimson has accused me of grabbing glory by misrepresenting and inappropriately pursuing an extension of discounted Harvard-Yale Game tickets for students. In both articles, The Crimson failed to include my side of the story.

First, my response to the lesser charge of failing to propose the idea formally. Before I pursued the extension, I brought it before the Campus Life Committee--which The Crimson claimed I failed to do--where it was unanimously approved. I then brought it to the executive board, where no one objected to the action.

Because this was a consensus issue that did not cost students anything and could not hurt anyone, there was no requirement in the council's Constitution, or any other reason, to bring it in front of the full council. I, like all other council members, have a mandate to voice the concerns and needs of my constituents to the administration. Many people in Lowell House told me they didn't get tickets, and I tried to get something done about it.

The second charge is that I failed to negotiate the deal as I claimed, because I only called three administrators. Although I talked to only three administrators, I talked to them numerous times. There is no reason negotiations can't happen over the phone.

If not classic negotiation, I at least served as the catalyst between $25 and $12 tickets. I've worked hard in the last year and a half, accumulating much experience on how better to work with the Harvard administration. I don't think my credibility should be questioned because I know how to effectively and efficiently enact change.

The most serious allegation against me is that I knew the discount tickets were already going to be offered before my actions. I have yet to find a senior or junior who can recall the deadline extension that supposedly happened two years ago--though that extension of the discount tickets was big enough news to make it a front page headline in The Crimson ("U.C. Negotiates Release of More Yale Tickets," news story, Nov. 14).

Certainly, Assistant Dean of Students Sarah E. Flatley-Wheston wasn't aware of any other extension when I discussed my idea with her before pursuing it with the athletic department and the ticket office. If those two groups were already planning on the extension, they didn't tell me that when I called. And If they were already planning on the extension, why were students who went by the ticket office told they had to purchase them for $25? Why did they have to meet to discuss the extension?

When you think about it, the main thing is not what I did or didn't do, but that students were able to get tickets for $12, when they otherwise would have had to pay $25 or skip The Game. I was going to ignore the accusations because they seemed to trivial, but it seems. The Crimson won't let them go away. Rudd W. Coffey '97

The writer represents Lowell House on the Undergraduate Council and is co-chair of the council's campus life committee.