Students, Groups Guide Web Future

University's Leadership Questioned

By Douglas M. Pravda

While Internet surfing recently, Daniel A. Lopez '97 came across a clickable map of Massachusetts containing links to World Wide Web sites throughout the state.

The map was located at a University of Massachusetts Web site, and clicking on other universities brought up their home pages. Such pages list all of the resources available at those sites.

When he clicked on Boston, and then on Harvard, Lopez says the map directed him to a Web site called golgi.

"I found golgi listed as the official Harvard home page," he says.

But golgi is the home page of the Department of Biology, not of the University as a whole. Many students say that department has the most complete listing of Harvard resources available on the World Wide Web.

Until recently, Harvard did not have its own home page. While one is now up and running, it is still under construction.

Students say the University's lack of progress on the Web is indicative of a larger shortcoming. Harvard needs to do more, they say, to encourage all parts of the University to put information on the Web.

"Harvard is way behind the times in information services," says Eugene E. Kim '96, president of the Harvard Computer Society. "Harvard does not take campus-wide information service very seriously."

Kim and other students say Harvard needs a University-wide LDconsideration," said Mazareas when discussing the success of the program.

Although the 58 institutions that plan to participate in the program represent 60 percent of all colleges in the state, Harvard has still not given word of its decision on the issue.

The University's Vice President for Government, Community and Public Affairs James H. Rowe '73 said that "it is under active consideration."

"Harvard already has a system where students can get in regardless of financial need," Rowe said yesterday. "We have a system that we feel works fantastically."

Representatives of various area schools showed up at the conference in support of the program. "This plan will slow down tuition costs and it bodes well for the future of the commonwealth", said John Curry, president of Northeastern University.

State Treasurer Joseph D. Malone '78 claimed that the "program is a giant step for families throughout Massachusetts," and said he hopes "Harvard will reconsider."

Harvard's reservations about joining the plan may stern from the fact that a fixed tuition plan for students could lock colleges into prices and therefore hurt them.

Governor Weld however, tried to encourage Harvard to overcome its concerns and join the program.

The Governor ended his comments with the reminder that "if we took back all the Weld family money that has been given given to Harvard retroactively since 1630, Harvard would be bankrupt