Students Launch Mag for Lesbians, Minority Women

Science BRIEFS

By Daniel S. Cohan

Attempting to create a forum for women who are members of minority groups, two sophomores have founded a literary magazine focusing on lesbians, working-class women and women of color.

The Sponge, which debuts in January, will publish writing, art and photos in a "fanzine" format--a rougher, less-structured form of magazine.

"We wanted a magazine to focus on diversity among women," said Irene C. Cheng '97, co-founder of The Sponge. "We'll be a little less polished and maybe more fun and open than typical literary magazines."

The Sponge will be the seventh literary magazine on campus, according to the 1994 edition of the Unofficial Guide to Life at Harvard.

One of those magazines, Light-house, also focuses on women's issues. But Lighthouse co-coordinator Seda Yalcinkaya '95 said she does not see the Sponge as a competitor.

"We're happy to have more publications focusing on women's issues," Yalcinkaya said. "[The Sponge] is a good addition to the range of campus publications."

Cheng said The Sponge differs from Lighthouse in focusing on a distinct group of women. Despite the obvious differences between minorities, lesbians and working-class women, Cheng said they share a common bond.

"We're addressing women who have been double-marginalized, which makes their experiences unique," she said.

Yalcinkaya said the new publication may be a response to changes in the Radcliffe Union of Students (RUS) last year.

"RUS became more of an umbrella non-political organization," Yalcinkaya said. "People are in search of a new organization that is representative of the more liberal feminist perspective."

Liberal feminists have been seeking an outlet since the disappearance of The Rag, a feminist magazine, Yalcinkaya said.

The Sponge received about $800 in funding from RUS, the Office for the Arts at Harvard and Radcliffe, and the Undergraduate Council, according to Cheng.

Cheng and co-founder S. Monica Ferrell '97 are now seeking a staff to produce the fanzine. They began postering for submissions last week.