Applications Give Students A Sense of Direction

DISSENT

By Sarah E. Scrogin

We think members of the staff should have been required to submit an application to attend the most recent editorial meeting.

The staff position, which criticizes certain concentrations for requiring first-years to apply, ignores the fact that Social Studies, History and Science, History and Literature and others provide students with more attention and care than Psychology or Economics.

Before these smaller concentrations spend their relatively scarce resources to provide individual attention for students, it only makes sense that the first-years should spend a few extra minutes to consider their academic careers before diving into honors-only tracks--many of which require senior these. Students in most of these concentrations are urged to select a more specialized field and consider potential courses which would fulfill concentration requirments.

And, as the staff says, the concentrations rarely, if ever, reject applicants. The end result: Many students begin their sophomore years with a better sense of direction, and most all can study whatever fields they desire.

Seems like a win-win situation to us.