Crime Rate On the Rise

Report Cites Increase of Seven Percent

By Marios V. Broustas

Crime seems to be rising in Cambridge, but remains low compared to the rates of a few years ago, according to the city's 1993 crime report printed in the Cambridge Chronicle last week.

The report indicates a seven percent increase in crime over the last year, but "last year's crime index was the lowest in 25 years," Cambridge Police Commisioner Perry Anderson told The Chronicle.

The report was prepared for the FBI's annual Uniform Crime Reporting Index.

Although an increase was expected this year because of 1992's unusually low levels of "serious crime," the 1993 figures are still the second lowest in Cambridge's history according to the Chronicle.

Assaults, which grew by 17 percent, had the largest increase, according to the report. One- third of the 643 assaults and one-half of the 24 attempted murders were classified as domestic.

These cases involve "financial matters and jealousy and are fueled by liquor and drugs," the report states.

Violent crime rose by six percent, while bothrape robberies declined by nine and 12 percentrespectively.

The decrease in robberies is especiallysignificant following the 28 percent decline in1992, according to The Chronicle.

There were only two murders in the city overthe past year--half the 4.5 average of the last 30years, according to The Chronicle.

Larceny, or property theft crimes, increased byseven percent, and were most profile in HarvardSquare.

According to The Chronicle, pickpocketsespecially favor the Square because of itsnumerous distractions. Bicycle thieves took 575bikes in 1993