Professors See Little Valentine's Romance

By Evan G. Stein

It was Valentine's Day yesterday, but Harvard professors said they didn't plan anything special in addition to the normal round of lectures, research and office hours.

For example, Assistant Professors of Psychology Todd F. Heatherton scheduled a simple, if still romantic, evening.

"I'll spend a nice quite evening with my wife," Heatherton said yesterday afternoon. "We'll open a bottle of champagne and some chocolates and we'll romantically watch the Olympics."

Baird Professor of Science Dudley R. Herschbach had a busy day. He had to substitute for Professor James G. Anderson in Chemistry 7, but he still managed to make romance a part of his day, sort of.

"I've bought Valentine cards for my wife and daughters," Hershbach said, "and naturally tonight we'll be watching the Beanpot Game and rooting for Harvard to have a very happy Valentine's Day...that's what's really important today."

Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III said he ordered a dozen roses from Phillips Brooks House for his wife.

"I hope they arrive," the dean said.

And some instructors mixed business with pleasure.

Teaching Assistant in Modern Hebrew Rina Winkelman taught her class all the Hebrew words for love yesterday.

"I forgot about it in the first class, but the second group reminded me," Winkelman said.

Professor of Government Seyla Benhabib exchanged cards with her daughter and her au pair, or nanny, in the morning and received a new compact stereo. But last night she had to write her lecture on Aristotle.

Some professors, like Assistant Professor of Anthropology Marc D. Hauser, did not let Valentine's Day interfere with their daily routine.

"I go to a sculpture class on Monday nights," Hauser said, "after that I'll go home and watch 'Northern Exposure.' It's the best show on TV."