Heymann Resigns Post Of Deputy Atty. General

Law Professor Cites Lack of `Chemistry' With Reno

By Ishaan Seth

Ames Professor of Law Philip B. Heymann resigned his post as U.S. Deputy Attorney General on January 27, citing a lack of "chemistry" between him and Attorney General Janet Reno as the cause for his departure.

Heymann, who held the post of Deputy Attorney General for nine months, will return to Harvard this summer and resume teaching in the fall semester. He took a leave of absence for the 1993-94 academic year.

At a news conference, Reno also blamed incompatibility between her and Heymann for the Law School professor's resignation. Neither official would discuss specific frictions or tensions that resulted in the departure.

"We don't have any great policy differences, there is no precipitating case or event," Heymann told the New York Times. "The fact of the matter is our chemistry isn't good. We don't work as well together as we should, and that's the conclusion we've both come to."

Cynthia M. Monaco '87, Heymann's special assistant, said that press reporters have tried to link a scandal to Heymann's resignation. Failing to find anything "juicy," they had started making up their own stories, she said.

"He and the Attorney General had different management styles, and they both decided for the good of the department that it was no use to go on since it just wasn't clicking," Monaco said.

In a memorandum obtained by The Crimson, which Heymann sent to his office staff on January 27, he said, "As I prepare to depart, I thought we could all take pride in some of the recent accomplishments of the Deputy's Office."

The memorandum proceeded to list the recent achievements of the office, including supervision of the preparation of Waco Report, a series of multi-agency initiatives against violent crimes in American cities and the Bank of Credit and Commerce International (BCCI) settlement.

"I'm going to miss working with him tremendously," said Monaco. "He is a brilliant Attorney, a thoughtful policy maker and an excellent manager, and...we all learned a lot from working with him. I can't speak highly enough of him."

Law School Dean Robert C. Clark, who said he spoke to Heymann the day before he announced his intention to quit, confirmed that Heymann would be returning to teach at the Law School as soon as a replacement was found for his Washington post.

Clark said he believed the reasons Heymann and Reno gave for Heymann's departure. "I take them at their word when they say they had differences and a lack of chemistry," he said.

"I am sure it is a difficult job," said Clark about Heymann's position as Deputy Attorney General.

Roscoe Pound Professor of Law James Vorenberg, who was Law School Dean from 1981 to 1989, also stressed the pressures ofHeymann's post, calling it "one of the mostimportant jobs in the country."

Vorenberg praised Heymann's directorships ofthe Law School's Program on the Legal Professionand of the Criminal Justice Center.

"He was a wonderfully constructive member ofthe faculty," said Vorenberg. "He took on two bigroles in addition to teaching while he washere...and handled both with great distinction,"he said. Clark said he was looking forward toHeymann's return to the Law School.

"I'm delighted," said Clark. "He is anextremely valuable colleague."

Heymann, whose staff in Washington included anumber of young lawyers whom he had taught atHarvard Law School, formerly worked as AssociateSpecial Prosecutor during the Watergateinvestigations. The Law School professor has alsoserved as Special Counsel to the National FootballLeague to investigate charges of sexual harassmentby the New England Patriots