New Condom Store Opens

Garage's Newest Store Is First of Its Kind in Cambridge

By Thomas D. Horan jr.

The motto might seem more appropriate to a police force, but The Garage's newest store has a slightly different meaning in mind.

"Protect and serve" is the slogan for Condom World, Cambridge's first shop devoted almost entirely to prophylactics. The store had its grand opening yesterday in the JFK Street mall.

"We basically help people choose condoms that will be comfortable, pleasurable and safe," said store employee Jenn Kay Kosch.

The store's merchandise, however, is not limited to condoms. It boasts an array of erotic games--"Pin the Boobs on the Babe," and "Pin the Macho on the Man," for instance--clothing, instruction manuals, vibrators and a large selection of lubricants.

Condom World tries to attract customers of all ages and both sexes, though more women than men tend to shop there, Kosch said.

"I don't think guys like buying condoms, so a lot of women are taking responsibility for themselves," Kosch said.

Kosch said that while many men seem aloof or uncomfortable, women tend to be far less embarrassed.

Employees work to ease the patron's embarrassment, Kosch said.

"I have 15 year-olds come in and they often don't know what they're doing," she said. "We really like to talk to them, not so much as a business [but rather] as a place for [them] to ask questions."

So far, the store is doing well, Kosch said.

Customer Doug S. Allan said he feels that the store fills a need within the community.

"Condoms should have a higher profile in society," Allan said. "Sex should not be something you hide in the back of a drugstore, especially reasonable sex."

"This is what we need. We don't need teachers and parents telling us not to have sex," said Ronald R. Wesd, 19. "We need to take [protection] into our own hands....It's not like we are promoting something which hasn't been promoted already."

Though older customers in the store refused to comment, Condom World appears to be reaching out for their patronage: the store offers an "Old Fart's Condom" guaranteed to "help protect your stiff and swollen joint."

Such humor is a theme throughout the store, but much of it is geared towards reminding customers to practice safe sex. "Don't be stupid. Don't be silly. Put a condom on your willy," reads one t-shirt.