Patrick Nominated for Justice Post

Lawyer, Harvard Grad Could Be Named to Civil Rights Position

By Emil J. Kiehne

President Clinton announced the nomination of Deval L. Patrick '78 as assistant attorney general for civil rights yesterday afternoon.

"He's been chosen because he has distinguished himself as a lawyer whose wise counsel, keen negotiating skills and mastery at litigation are held in the highest esteem," Clinton said in an Oval Office ceremony.

Patrick, who graduated from Harvard Law School in 1982, is a prominent civil rights lawyer with Hill and Barlow of Boston.

Patrick has also worked as a clerk for Judge Stephen Reinhardt in the United States Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and for the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund.

In a statement made yesterday, Senator Edward M. Kennedy '54-'56 endorsed Clinton's nomination of Patrick to head the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division.

"Mr. Patrick is an outstanding lawyer with sound judgment and broad experience with the civil rights laws," Kennedy said. "I am confident that he will be swiftly confirmed with broad bipartisan support."

Clinton withdrew his nomination of Lani C. Guinier '71, a colleague of Patrick's at the NAACP, to the post in June because of widespread criticism of her legal writings.

In a statement made yesterday, Guinier praised Clinton's nomination of Patrick to the position, and urged the president to provide "leadership in defining his civil rights agenda."

But Patrick's nomination has already come under fire from Clint Bolick of the Institute for Justice.

"Patrick appears to be a `stealth Guinier.'" said Bolick. "He has no paper trail but is part of the same pro-quota chorus that produced Lani Guinier."

Despite the attack on Patrick, however, thepresident defended his nomination.

"I believe he is uniquely qualified to leadthis division in this decade," Clinton said