The Lynx Continues An Elitist Tradition

THE CRIMSON STAFF

What is the Lynx? Is it a wildcat with tufted ears? Is it a failed Atari rip-off of Nintendo's Game Boy? Or is it the newest entry into Harvard's late-night club war?

We know the first two definitions apply in certain circumstances, and it would appear that the third now does too. With the dissemination of wax-sealed invitations to tea at the Ritz-Carlton from "the President and Members" of the Lynx, it would appear that the Bee, the only known women's social club, now has some competition. Exactly what sort of competition is unclear. No one involved with the new club would speak to the Crimson.

It did become apparent, however, that the Lynx will not be competing with Phi Beta Kappa for members. Melissa B. Fisher '94 told one of our reporters that she had "no idea what you're talking about" when asked about the Lynx, even though her phone number and name were given on the invitation and she attended a North End party for the group.

That aside, we grimace at the thought of another women's club being formed on other grounds as well. By engaging in the same sort of exclusivity as the male clubs, the "President and Members" of this double X-chromosome shadow government are sinking to the level of their male counterparts.

Instead of supporting non-discriminatory, egalitarian groups such as Philos, which is bleeding to death for lack of interest, they are choosing to continue the cycle of elitism that has spiraled out of control at Harvard for so long. We already have the Fly, the Fox, the Owl, the Phoenix and the Bee in the Harvard social zoo; who needs a Lynx?