Crime Is Rising, Says City Report

Increase Follows Three Year Decline

By Marios V. Broustas

After three years of decline, serious crime in Cambridge is on the rise, according to the Annual Crime Report released by the Cambridge Police Department earlier this month.

The city registered a seven percent increase over last year's total crime figures, the report says.

"This seven percent increase in serious crime comes on the heels of 1992's crime index which was the lowest total reported by the Cambridge Police...since 1968," reads the report.

Violent crime in the city increased by six percent and property crime increased by seven percent. But the most noticeable change was the 17 percent rise in aggravated assault.

"The problem locations and types of criminal behavior spotlighted in the Annual Crime Report will be dealt with in a direct and aggressive manner," said City Police Commissioner Perry L. Anderson Jr. in a letter to the citizens of Cambridge.

Figures were more positive for the city's rapes and robberies. There were three fewer rapes in 1993. And the two murders this year matched 1992's figure.

But the decrease in robberies pleased officials most. Following last year's 28 percent drop, robberies fell an additional 12 percent in 1993.

"The 1993 robbery total (253) replaces the 1992 figure as the lowest total reported for this crime in Cambridge since the mid-1960s," the report says.

The report was prepared for the FBI Uniform Crime Reporting Program by the police department's crime analysis unit.

Report figures for selected serious crimes are compiled in the Crime Index, which is used to compare Cambridge crime with that of cities across the nation.

The report also attempts to discern the motivation of the criminals, the location of the crime and whether offenses are committed against strangers or acquaintances.

Police said they hope to better combat crimes with an increased understanding of their nature.

Robberies were put into four categories to help police identify the reason for the crime.

"Dial a Victim" thieves make take our orders and then rob the delivery personnel, the report says. There have also been a large number of home-less-on-homeless robberies, which are probably under-reported, according to the report.

"Lone Wolf" and "Predator" thieves stalk their victims alone or in pairs and are the cause for the citizen's primary concern, the report says.

A trend which seems to also be affecting the public consciousness of safety is the rise in larceny crimes.

Larceny rose by seven percent in 1993 . But Harvard Square is traditionally the hardest hit, says the report, averaging more than double the number of crimes of the next most dangerous area.

The report says pickpockets often use public transportation, so the square it a convenient stop. Also the numerous distractions in the Square and the high number of tourists. make the area attractive for thieves.

Overall, crime in Harvard Square has declinedsignificantly since the eighties, the report says.

In 1993, larceny of motor vehicles andmalicious destruction of property declined by 27and 22 percent respectively, while auto theft roseby eight percent.

But one very disturbing figure is the 61percent rise in housebreaks in the Harvard areaover the past year, as compared to an 11 percentrise overall.

The 158 housebreaks in neighborhood six, whichincludes the Yard and parts of the University, wasmore than twice the figure of any of Cambridge's13 neighborhoods.

"It is considered to be basically stable,"Anderson said of Harvard Square in an interviewyesterday. "It is a safe area in and aroundHarvard. You have an excellent police departmentthere and we coordinate together well and we feelthings are going in the right direction."

Another trend which the report notes is therise in bicycle thefts in and around the Square,which registered a 26 percent increase in thecity.

"They are kind of difficult because it is leftup to people to secure bicycles better than theyhave," Anderson said. "The best thing we can do isto continue to educate."

Anderson also emphasizes education in hisreport for the entire city.

"The public's uncertainty about how much crimethere is and of what elements the crime problem iscomposed remains a major stumbling block inbuilding partnerships between the PoliceDepartment and the citizens of the City," Andersonsays in his letter to Cantabrigians.

Anderson credits the Cambridge SafeNeighborhoods Initiative with sparking a citywideeffort to find solutions to crime.

Commercial robbery, which normally averagebetween 50 to 55 incidents per year in areas suchas Harvard, Porter and Central square, fell to atotal of 21.

Anderson attributes the decline to the newpolice walking patrolling system.

The commissioner also calls for the furtherexpansion of the Cambridge crime fightingcommunity in his letter to citizens.

"To hold [the increase in crime] in check itwill take a partnership comprised of not just thePolice and citizens, but every city agency, thebusiness community, public service providers andchurch leaders," Anderson says in the letter.

He adds, "The role of parents must be expanded.For many of our youth the problem is not in thestreet but in the home.