Jazz Clubs Around Boston

By Seth Mnookin

The Middle East-480 Mass. Ave, Central Square, Cambridge; 497-0576. The Middle East includes a fair number of jazz acts along with the its indie rock shows. Past performers have included Don Pullin, Don Byron, and Dewey Redman. Even on a night when there's a jazz show, the crowd will be unbearably hip--the Middle East has become the hot place in town for cool twentysomethings .

Jazz acts are usually booked downstairs, and all of the Middle East's jazz shows are 18 and over. Ticket prices vary, but are usually around between $10 and $15; food and drinks available from the Middle East's regular menu.

The Regettabar-in the Charles Hotel, Harvard Square, Cambridge; 937-4020. In the past couple of years, the R'Bar has established itself as the premier jazz club in the area. Their annual jazz festival is packed full of big names and amazing talent Sonny Rollins, Joe Henderson, and John McLaughlin will all be playing here in the next couple of months.

The R'Bar's patrons are usually upper-middle class, jacket and tie types. Make no mistake about it, the R'Bar is upscale, but they still get the best acts in town, usually for between $10 and $20. Food and drink available, but at some shows there in no smoking.

Ryles-212 Hampshire St., Inman Square, Cambridge; 876-9339. Take the #69 bus to Inman Square. Ryles is more than a dive, but still not as posh as the R'Bar. Live jazz daily both upstairs and downstairs. Covers are pretty low; regulars include guitarist Bruce Bartlett, who plays every Tuesday. Food and drink available.

Scullers-in the Guest Quarter's Suite Hotel, 4000 Soldier's Field Road, Brighton' 783-0090. Walk down Memorial Drive until you hit Western Ave and go over the bridge. Another upscale hotel bar that gets a lot of big names, although Scullers books more local talent than the Regettabar. Covers range from $5 to $15; food and drink available.

Wally's-427 Mass, Ave., Boston; 424-1408. Take the #1 bus down Mass Ave. to Columbus St. Wally's is somewhat of a stomping ground for Berklee musicians. A little bigger than your average dorm room, Wally's is a tight squeeze on big nights. It remains the best place both to see jazz with a young, eclectic crowd and also socialize: you won't get any stuffy stares here if you try to talk to some friends. Perhaps more than any other club, Wally's should be a required rite of passage for every college student in the area.

The Willow Jazz Club-694 Broadway St., Bill Square, Somerville; 623-9874. The one drawback to The Willow is that it is not easily accessible by public transportation. To get there, take the Red Line to Davis Square, go down College St. to the rotary at Broadway, and follow Broadway into Ball Square.

The Willow is both a club and a bar, the tacky lighting and carpeted walls make it a consistent favorite. The Fringe play here every Wednesday night. Other jazz locals, and some nationals, round out the scene. Covers range, but are usually between $5 and $10.