S. African Official: Transition In Danger

By David J. Andorsky

A member of the African National Congress' Executive Committee warned in a speech at MIT last night that "the emergence of the forces of darkness" threatens the transition to democracy in South Africa.

A Crowd of nearly 200 listened to Jeff Radebe, deputy chair of the ANC in Southern Natal, express his faith that the democratic vote will ultimately result in the election of Nelson Mandela as President.

The speech, sponsored by the Harvard African Students Association, the MIT African Students Association, and The fund for Democratic Elections in South Africa (FDESA), was part of an effort to raise one million dollars to support voter education and the ANC campaign.

However, Radebe warned that the whiteConservative Party and the black Inkatha FreedomParty "are holding our country ransom by theirthreats of violence and civil war."

In order to maintain peace, two mechanisms arenecessary, Radebe said. Both the ANC and thegovernment of President F. W de Klerk have agreedto establish a national peace-keeping force tomaintain order.

In addition, the ANC has called on "theinternational community, particularly the UnitedNations, to come and monitor the electionprocess."

Radebe expressed optimism for the future, butcautioned that the fight was not over.

"The world anti-apartheid movement must notabandon the ANC in the final step of thestruggle," he said. "If and when Nelson Mandela iselected president, the struggle is not over."

"Political liberation must be accompanied byeconomic liberation. 95 percent of the economy iscontrolled by white men," Radebe said. "The worldmust support this economic restructuring. Withoutit, there can be no stability."

Radebe's speech is part of a nine-city,two-week tour of the United States.

Rider Moloto, one of the organizers of theevent, said in an interview that the ANC needsfinancial assistance to wage a successfulcampaign.

"For Blacks, this is the first time that theyare voting," said Moloto. "The ANC has noelectoral experience, and the majority offinancial resources are controlled by the current,all-white government."

Wendy Swart, another organizer, said thatBoston-based FDESA was "founded last August toraise money to support free and fair elections inApril."

Attendees were asked to donate $5 at the door.

In addition, traditional African foods cookedby Harvard and MIT students were sold for $5 aplate, and further donations were requested at theend of the keynote speech.

Both Harvard and MIT organizers said that theywere pleased by the turnout, and that they plan ondoing more to help the cause.

Koranteng Ofosu-Amaah '94-'95, president of theHarvard African Students Association, said thathis group will "organize events at Harvard toraise awareness, educate, and raise money.