Liston Elected Vice President

Gabay Wins Council Presidency Unopposed; Braswell Is Treasurer

By Todd F. Braunstein

In marked contrast to the heated debate preceding his election in the fall, Carey W. Gabay '94 ran unopposed and was re-elected to a second term as president of the Undergraduate Council last night.

Joshua D. Liston '95, former co-chair of the campus life committee, was elected vice president and Jamila A. Braswell '95, former finance committee chair, was elected treasurer.

Liston beat out Braswell and two members of the outgoing executive board, former Treasurer Rene Reyes '95 and Secretary Cynthia D. Johnson '96.

Seventy-eight of the council's 82 voting members were present for the elections, and Liston was elected by a majority on the first ballot. No absentee ballots were submitted.

In a short speech before the vote, Liston criticized the council for leaving funds unspent at the end of teach year. Leftover money is distributed to the house committees.

"I don't understand why we should be in a situation where we have money left over," he said. "We should spend it all on events the U.C. comes up with."

In addition to working on projects he helped start as co-chair of the campus life committee, Liston said he would make the council office in the basement of Canaday B "more student friendly."

"We need to reorganize the office so that it becomes a place of interaction between students and U.C. members," Liston said. "I want it to be a place where they can see their U.C. representatives and address concerns."

Several current and former council members, including Gabay, said in interviews last week that the vice presidency is traditionally viewed as a stepping stone to the presidency.

When asked last week whether this election was a preview of next fall's presidential election, Liston said, "It's difficult to predict what will happen on the U.C. Most people run for a position they feel they can fill best."

The treasurer's race was slightly closer. Drop-down candidate Braswell, Finance Committee Vice Chair Austin W. So '96, and Scott A. Ellison '94 vied for the position.

Braswell did not garner a majority of the vote on the first ballot, but beat So in a run-off.

Braswell said she wants to change the process by which grants are distributed. She said she plans to mail letters to campus organizations specifying times where leaders can pick up the money allocated to them.

The council passed a motion to postpone elections for secretary until next week because candidate Brandon C. Gregoire '95 was sick yesterday.

In a speech following his re-elec- tion by acclamation, Gabay thanked the councilfor overcoming their "mistrust of my intentions inthe fall" to work effectively with him.

"I believe those of you who know me well canattest to my sincere interest in advocating forstudent wishes, in providing an atmosphere that ismore conducive to creation of new ideas and inbettering delivery of student services andexpanding social events," he said.

All the vice presidential candidates said theydecided not to run for president in part becauseof their respect for Gabay's accomplishments thisyear.

"Carey has done a good job," Reyes said in aninterview last week. "When you're at the end of asemester, you get the momentum going and it wouldbe hard cut it off."

Gabay recited a broad list of this council'sachievements last night, ranging from record highgrants disbursements to the extension of ScienceCenter stockroom hours.

"Ladies and gentlemen," he said, "I submit toyou, this is your legacy. We damn well have theright to pat ourselves on the back."

Gabay presented the President's Award to JohnMann '92-'94, a former critic of Gabay's who votedagainst him in the fall. The President's Award ispresented to "an extremely hard-working councilmember," Gabay said.

Gabay praised Mann for his work on the shuttlebuses, various concerts, the ski trip, andwillingness to help poster and table