JV Hockey Team Undefeated

By David S. Griffel

Harvard's JV Hockey team is undefeated with a 12-0-2 record this season, which include on 11-2 thumping of Choate at home on Friday night.

"These people play hockey because they enjoy the game," Harvard Coach Kevin Hampe said.

In addition to those who play JV for the love of the game are several players from the varsity squad who aren't scheduled to Play with the big boys on a given night.

Freshmen forwards Stuart Swenson and Ethan Philpott, Junior forward Keith McLean, freshman defender Marco Ferrari and junior goaltender Steve Hermsdorf (playing to the chants of "Hermsy") have all seen both varsity and JV action this season, and have infused the latter with experience and leadership.

"[They] realize that we expect them to be stand-outs here, to be the better players," Hampe said.

An injury to a varsity player or a trip into varsity Coach Ronn Tomassoni's doghouse means that someone from the JV will be called upon to fill the spot, so JV players know that they have to keep their skills sharp.

And with only two weeks left in the team's season, it is safe to say that the squad has a good chance of becoming one of the few squads at Harvard--in any sport--to have an undefeated season.