Sharpton to Urge Black Involvement

By Leo H. Cheung

Controversial Black activist, the Rev. Al Sharpton will address members of the Harvard community tonight, calling on Blacks to get more involved in government.

"I intend to talk about the need for more black leaders to be engaged in the political process," Sharpton said in a phone interview with The Crimson Yesterday.

Sharp on's speech, at 7:30 p.m. in Emerson 105, follows closely on the heels of his own declaration to reenter the political arena. On Feb. 6, Sharpton said he will run for Senate against Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan (D-N.Y.).

In a previous run for office, Sharpton surprised pundits by gathering many more votes than expected, according to The New York Times.

Alvin L. Bragg '95, president of the Black Students' Association, said the organization invited Sharpton to speak tonight because he can "address the need for Blacks to be engaged in the political process."

"Sharpton is only part of our broad search for Black leadership", Bragg said. "We will find a vast array of speakers."

As part of their continuing speaker series, the BSA will sponsor a speech by Sophie Steel, a well-known conservative, next month, according to Bragg.

Awareness of Racism

Sharpton said in the interview that he also intends to "spend some time on racial relations on campus."

Students at Harvard who have not experiencedovert racism, Sharpton said, are fortunate, butmust realize that it has affected many others.

"We should also be aware of institutionalracism, which often is less overt then other kindsof racism," he added.

Sharpton has played an active and highlyvisible role in civil rights andanti-establishment protests.

He first achieved national prominence when hedefended Tawana Brawley, a Black teenager whoallegedly was kidnapped and raped by a group ofwhite men. Her accusations were neversubstantiated.

In Jan. 1991, Sharpton was stabbed in the chestbefore he was to lead 200 protesters throughBensonhurst in New York City, a predominantlywhite neighborhood.

In the Bensonhurst march, Sharpton wasprotesting the sentencing of a group of whiteteenagers accused of killing Black teenager YusufHawkins. Only one of the accused men was convictedof murder, the others received lighter sentences.

Sharpton was born in Brooklyn and became alicensed Pentecostal minister when he was 10 yearsold, according to The Times. From age 10 to 18, hewas youth pastor of a Brooklyn Church.

Sharpton's political career began in 1971 whenhe formed the National Youth Movement with themission of fighting drugs in Black neighborhoods.He has said the group has 13,000 members, thoughin 1991 he has a file of about 500 "actives"available on short notice for protests.

Sharpton is also well-connected with otherBlack leaders. For instance, the Rev. JesseJackson attended Sharpton's baptism into theBaptist church last month