Make Space For Banners In the Yard

You can't walk through the Yard without noticing that Holworthy Hall, long the site of banners announcing concerts, comps and commercial ventures, is undergoing renovations.

One would have expected that the banners would simply move to Thayer Hall, the dormitory to which Holworthy and Pennypacker students were moved this semester.

But University officials threatening tear down banners hung from Thayer windows, have pre-empted the change. At least one Thayer proctor delivered messages to this effect to each of her students' rooms. Apparently, Thayer's newly pristine exterior is to be protected. Still, any issues regarding the aesthetics of the dorms would have been just as relevant to Holworthy When it was occupied.

Let's Go, the Hasty Pudding, and The Lampoon have flouted the administration's warnings, but theirs have been the only banners on Thayer since It was reopened. Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III Has suggested that students post banners on the fence surrounding the Holwrothy construction site, but few organizations know of, or appreciate the opportunity.

WE don't think that the fence around Holworthy provides an effective substitute for the huge wall of the building itself. it's not as visible and it doesn't preserve the long-lived part of Harvard tradition that Holworthy represents.

Epps said that his ultimate goal is to have large billboards around the Yard for equivalent banner-hanging space. Without even commenting on the aesthetic perils of free standing, highway-size advertising spaces on campus, we can definitely say that some more immediate and realistic solution is needed.