Panel Talks of Careers For Minorities in D.C.

Black White House Staffers Offer Advice

By Christopher R. Mcfadden

The Clinton administration offers top job opportunities for minority and women candidates, five White House officials said Last tonight in an Institute of Politics forum.

Approximately 80 students attended the forum, which was titled "African Americans in the Clinton White House."

Governmental experience and a quality education are good prerequisites for anyone seeking a government job, the panelists said.

But President Clinton's desire for a diverse staff have also made race and gender factors in the White House hiring process, panelist Ernest J. Wilson '70 said.

"Clinton wanted to put together a White House that looked like America," he said. "If [candidates] were evenly qualified and we could give [the job] to a woman or a minority, we did it."

Sheryll Cashin, Director to the National Economic Council for Community Development, agreed.

"If not for the Clinton administration looking for a diverse White House, I would not have gotten this job," she said.

Wilson said that in hiring decisions the White House considered the candidates' home region, background, race, gender, and how much they donated the Democratic party.

He added that there are more opportunities for minorities in international, rather than in domestic, positions.

The People hired for those jobs should represent America's diversity abroad, Wilson said.

As the political system becomes increasingly more global, the government should hire minorities who "may bring a new perspective to foreign policy making," he said.

All candidates agreed they are excited about their worked and advised interested students to get involved.

"I love my job and feel very fortunate to be here," Cashin said.

The panelists also offered a number of tips for all students interested in obtaining governmental jobs.

"One thing that distinguishes people in theadministration is that they've done practicalpolitics," said Christopher Edley, Jr. thePresident's Associate Director for Economics andGovernment.

Past government work helps staff membersunderstand the bureaucratic system, and experienceteaches people how to put together the mosteffective programs, he said.

Donsia Strong a member of the Domestic PolicyCouncil staff, said work in politics alsofurnishes valuable connections for thegovernmental job-seeker.

"Literally, it's connection," she said. "It iswho you know and what you've done in the past. Itgets to be incestuous."

Three of the panelists worked for the Dukakiscampaign in 1988, and all had helped otherDemocratic candidates in the past.

Strong academic preparation is anotherimportant factor in obtaining a post in the publicsector, Edley said.

"You're looking for something whichdistinguishes you from the stack of resumes," hesaid.

Three of the panelists were graduates of eitherHarvard College or Harvard Law School