FAS Considers Faculty Book

Facebook Might Include Addresses, Research Interests

By Ishaan Seth

The first-year facebook scam game may now include a whole new set of prospects: the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

Since faculty members now have picture IDs, the FAS is considering the publication of its own facebook for distribution among the faculty.

The possibility was discussed in a Faculty Council meeting two weeks ago, said Secretary to the Faculty Council John B. Fox Jr. '59.

The faculty facebook, however, will likely differ from the student version in the information it includes. Faculty members' suggestions range from addresses to lists of recent publications and research interests.

"I think research interests would probably be the most useful thing to be included," said Baird Professor of Science Gary J. Feldman.

Faculty seemed supportive of the idea but were concerned about the costs, Fox said.

"I think it would be quite a useful thing to have," said Fox. "But we have not yet discussed it yet and I don't know if it will justify the costs."

Professor of Government Gary King said the book would definitely be helpful but added that its information should be offered on-line as well.

Even if the council votes in favor of the facebook, it probably won't appear for months, Fox said.

"I don't think we will talk about it `til the summer," he said.

And while some undergraduates may look forward to viewing such a publication, as they do in the case of the student edition, they are in for a disappointment.

The facebook would not be circulated to students.