Royer to Step Down As IOP Director

By Kevin S. Davis

Charles T. Royer, dirctor of the Institute of Politics (IOP), recently announced he will step down in December and return to Seattle.

Royer, who has been the director for more than four years, cited homesickness and a need to move on as reasons for his departure. Royer served as the mayor of Seattle for 12 years before coming to Harvard.

"It's been the most wonderful job, but I love Seattle, and it's time to get back there," Royer said.

Royer said he gave a commitment to the IOP for three to five years when he accepted the job.

Albert Carnesale, dean of the Kennedy School of government, praised Royer for improving both undergraduate and graduate programs.

"He's been an extraordinarily successful director for the Institute," Carnesale said. "[The IOP's] relationship with the Kennedy School has never been better."

Royer said when he came, "the institute needed to be stabilized. The programs needed to be stabilized and the place needed to be put in financial shape."

"I think I have accomplished what I wanted to do," Royer said.

Describing his years here as "just great," Royer said he enjoys the time he spend with students and hopes to get back to education when he gets back to Seattle.

Although he has no immediate plans for the future, Royer said he wants to stay in the public sector. He did not exclude the possibility of running for office again.

"I have a high regard for politics and public service and for the people who work there, "Royer said.

Royer was cited last spring for driving under the influence of alcohol, but he said that episode did not heavily influence his decision to leave.

"That was a terrible period, obviously," Royer said, "and I think that probably is wrapped up in the whole[decision]."

Royer said administrators did not pressure himto leave because of the incident, adding that theywere "supportive" of him throughout.

"I've had very good support from both theKennedy school and the administration." saidRoyers.

"There's one thing I can tell youunequivocally." Carnesale said, "If he would cometo me and say, 'I'd like to stay,' I'd say `Done.'We'd love keep him.