Democratic Hopefuls Exchange Nasty Barbs

By Leondra R. Kruger

Two Democratic candidates for governor of Massachusetts traded personal barbs following a political debate that aired last night on Boston television station WLVI-TV.

State Sen. Michel J. Barrett '70, former state senator George Bachrach and State Rep. Mark Roosevelt '78 were winding down their taped debate Thursday when the exchanges got nasty.

Bachrach accused Barrett of turning on his former political ally, current Senate President William Bulger, in his quest for the governor's seat.

"This is an election year effort by you, Mike," Bachrach said after the two had gone off the air.

Bachrach claimed Barrett had voted to keep Bulger as Senate President consistently until last year, when he withheld his support in anticipation of his own upcoming bid.

"We're a little puzzled by the whole thing," said Barrett Campaign Manger David Osborne. "It was laughable, the idea that Mike is some sort of follower of the Senate president."

Bachrach also asserted his continuing dissatisfaction with Bulger's presidency. He ran an unsuccessful campaign against Bulger for the Senate presidency, and continues to oppose Bulger's initiatives, he said.

"I stood toe to toe with Bill Bulger," Bachrach said. "I lost of committee chairmanship over it, but I'd do it again."

Barrett counterattacked by pointing out that Bachrach, who left the Senate to become a Beacon Hill lobbyist, had "abandoned the ideals [he] originally stood up for in the Senate."

Bachrach has done fundraising work for current Gov. William F. Weld '66 and also wrote an op-ed piece in the Boston Globe in support of Bulger, Osborne said.

The tone changed abruptly from earlier in the debate, when the candi- dates discussed their similarities.

"The is beginning to be a bit of a love festhere," Bachrach had said.

During the debate, the candidates discussedincome tax reform, crime and education reform.

Roosevelt and Bachrach said they support agraduated income tax, but Barrett said he willdecide "in several weeks" whether he will supporta graduated income tax