Transfer Hopefuls Learn Their Fates

By Kathreen P. Lee

After a week--or perhaps a full year--of agony, students applying for inter-house transfers learned yesterday where they will be living next year.

Many students were pleased with the results, but others--particularly Quad residents--will be stuck in their current Houses.

A desire to be near friends in other Houses was a common reason for requesting a transfer, said Mather House Master Sandra A. Naddaff.

But many of the students hoping to move also said they felt uncomfortable in their current houses.

"I applied to Quincy, because I felt that it has a much friendlier atmosphere than Mather," said a Mather House sophomore. "[Mather] is a house dominated by athletes, so if you're not athletic, you feel out of the loop."

The sophomore, who asked that her name not be used, was granted the transfer.

Other students agreed that a friendly atmosphere was a key factor in choosing which House to request.

"Kirkland is a house that has a great reputation," said Lesley E. Leger-Kelley '96. "People I know are really happy there."

Many students tried to transfer from Quad to river houses, citing the long walkfrom the Quad. "Distance is definitely a problem,"said Leger-Kelley, a North House resident. "It'shard to stay involved in school activities."

Leger-Kelley was allowed to transfer toKirkland House. Her roommate, however, was deniedadmission to Adams House.

Only four percent of returning students areallowed to transfer inter-house, said CollegeHousing Officer Catherine M. Millett, so eachHouse sets a cap on the number of students it willadmit.

Most House officials would not release datashowing how many applications were received andgranted, although Naddaff said 10 peopletransferred out of Mather, while 13 people weregranted transfers in.

All of the students interviewed whose requestswere denied said they would try again in May whenthey are permitted to resubmit their applications