Harvard Tolerates Racial Injustice

TO THE EDITORS

As a first-year student I don't think I'm different from any other first-year--proud to attend one of the best universities in the world. Like other first-years I called my mother on the first night to rave about my eagerness to meet people and to take certain classes. I was more than happy not only to meet other Harvard students, but particularly students of my own race, with whom I felt comfortable.

My excitement began to diminish as I realized that I had more than classes to contend with. This feeling of comfort and pride is exactly what was stifled in my parents and others' parents in the 1950s and 60s when Blacks were attacked for simply walking along the street or for trying to buy a sandwich in a deli. While it is true that the physical circumstances under which we lived a few decades ago differ from now, the sentiments of both Blacks and whites do not.

The way police harass, detain and/or arrest Black students, particularly Black males, not only on this campus, but everywhere in this country, is an old method used to make Blacks feel out of place where they feel comfortable and to feel ashamed of their race. Police harassing Black students for rapping in public is consistent with the way the white media criticizes rap music, a unique contribution of Black youth to popular culture. It's a degradation method. History has proven those methods to be effective in some cases. So, I guess white racists should be congratulated for their persistence and unyielding ignorance.

Blacks are not immune or prepared for this type of treatment as whites are often guilty of thinking. In other words, whites tend to feel that racism is just a part of our lives, and we know how to deal with it. Wrong. Each racial slur or discriminatory act incites a new feeling of anger and frustration. Therefore whites might feel slightly sympathetic, but in general apathetic. Blacks become disappointed and angry. It is, on the whole, disgusting.

Although I applaud Dean Epps for his proposal to decrease tension between police and students, I don't think he is considering the real problem. It's not that the police officers do not know proper procedure for making an arrest; after all, it's their profession. They are obviously motivated by something other than lack of knowledge about procedure. A racist in a police uniform is no different from a racist in overalls or one in a suit. Why should they suppress their desire to antagonize Black students when they can simply deny it, the University defends them, an "instructive" videotape is made and the case is closed? Guilty officers should be suspended. I am personally appalled that this University would tolerate such injustice.

A letter published in The Crimson not too long ago asked why don't minority students and groups just "shut up," because supposedly Harvard admits Black students at a high rate. Being admitted into this University was wonderful, but it is no good if I can not enjoy my four years here and concentrate on my work. Well, the answer to the author of the letter's question is that we will "shut up" as soon as we can. The institutions of this country will not let us shut up. We must speak up for ourselves. After all, if we didn't, would you? Victoria Kennedy '97