Song Praises China's Progress

Govt. Minister Says Economic Development Rate Increased

By A. OMIYINKA Doris

Song Jian, minister of the state Science and Technology Commission and chair of the State Environmental Protection Commission for the People's Republic of China, spoke at the Kennedy School of Government last night, extolling China's steps toward increased economic prosperity and environmental protection.

Song praised the increased economic development occurring in China, saying that China's gross national product (GNP) has doubled and its output value has tripled in the last decade.

This economic progress has included more economic interaction with foreign countries and private companies, he said. Those companies now make up 40 percent of China's GNP.

But even more important than economic growth, Song told the packed audience at the ARCO Forum, is feeding the masses.

"The guarantee of food must be the top priority of everyone of every society," said Song, quoting Confucius.

Song said that China's continuing economic reform has eased the problem of a lack of food for many Chinese people.

"Fifty years after Communism evolved, food is no longer a problem, he said.

Song added that China's increased economic development has led many people to worry about making money rather than the availability of food.

Song also discussed improvements for rural Chinese, saying that the number of rural industries has increased, creating 110 million new job opportunities.

"The new rural industries allow peasants to move from the farmland without leaving their native towns," he said.

The minister touted China's governmental reform efforts, but added that he believes China must proceed carefully on its road to reform.

"A new period of development has unfolded. She is changing extremely rapidly," Song said. "Prosperity and democracy are the goals China has sought for years, but they cannot be achieved in a hurried way."

He also heralded recent improvements in environmental protection in China and the scientific community's involvement in those efforts.

But even though a number of new pollution regulations have been implemented, carbon dioxide emissions continue to be a major problem for China, Song said.

China has the third highest level of carbon dioxide emissions in the world, he said, adding that the U.S. ranks first. Current attempts to correct the problem include developing clean coal technology and protecting forests, which consume large quantities of carbon dioxide.

Song also said Chinese scientists predict that, as a result of ongoing population control efforts, population will continue to increase for the next 30 years, but should stabilize at 1.6 billion people by the middle of the next century.

Animal protection is also near the top of his priority list, he said. China recently banned and called for the confiscation of all medicines using substances from endangered species, such as the giant panda and the Siberian tiger.

The government is partnering with international organizations, including Wildlife and the International Union for the Conservation of Nature, in its reform efforts and has enacted tougher legislation against poachers and forest polluters, Song said.