Council Defeats Call for Walsh's Resignation

Order Voted Down by Narrow Margin

By Julie H. Park

The city council voted down by a narrow margin last night an order calling for the resignation of Councillor William H. Walsh, who was convicted of 41 counts of bank fraud and the making false statement last month.

The order called for Walsh to resign and for the city manager, Robert W. Healy, to transmit a copy of the order to the attorney general "with a request that he take steps to enforce" the law.

Since his conviction, Walsh has stated repeatedly that he has no plans to resign, although Massachusetts General Law Chapter 279, Section 30 requires elected officials to forfeit office it sentenced to prison.

Walsh will be sentence June 23. He is expected to face two-and-a-half to three-and-a-half years in prison.

The three sponsors of the order, Councillors, Kathleen L. Born, Francis H. Duehay '55 and Katherine Triantafillou, and Councillor Jonathan S. Myers voted in favor of the order.

Councillors Sheila T. Russell and Timothy, J. Toomey voted against the proposal, while Mayor Kenneth E. Reeves' 72 and Councillor Michael A. Sullivan voted "present Walsh abstained.

Although Walsh in not currently in violation of the law requiring him to forfeit office, the sponsors of the order called for his resignation on moral grounds.

"The conviction of such a serious crime," said the order," is inimical to the concept of good government and affects the integrity of the City Council as a whole."

"How are we going to justify hav- ing a sitting councillor convicted of afelony?" Triantafillou said. "It cannot be done.It's inappropriate, it's unethical."

"Mr. Walsh has had his day in court and Iimplore the city council to stand up and...breakthe silence," Triantafillou said.

Duehay also called on the council to takeaction. Duehay said the council had twooptions--to ask for Walsh resignation or to havelaw enforcement officers remove him from office.

"It saddens me to ask Councillor Walsh toresign," Duehay said."[But] it is a fact that theconviction has touched the council and isreflection on the city of Cambridge."

Walsh spoke for more than 15 minutes in his owndefense.

After detailing his life in the city and inpolitics, Walsh refused to resign. He maintainedhis innocence and asked for a chance to clear hisname.

"As tough as it is to stay and fight, I will doso," he said. "I am innocent. I have to fight tovindicate myself. Politics aside, every man has aright to defend himself. I should be allowed thesame rights as anyone else."

Prior to the order calling for Walsh'sresignation, the council had passed an orderconcerning Walsh introduced by Myers.

Myers' order called for the city manager andthe city solicitor to "obtain a legal opinion as thow Massachusetts General Law Chapter 279 Section30 Applies to an elected individual" and to reportto the city council on their findings.

But the order did not name Walsh, nor did itcall for his resignation

Seven councillors voted for the order. Russellvoted" "present," Walsh abstained