Good Riddance to the Eyesore by the Yard

By The CRIMSON Staff

After months of provoking bewilderment and derision, the hideous "Shops by Harvard Yard" sign near Holyoke Center has finally been dismantled. Installed only this past September, the notorious monstrosity was designed to "bring some color" to the area, according to Wendy Prellwitz, a partner with the architectural firm which oversaw the project. The massive yellow and silver "sculpture" certainly brought some intense reaction.

And it appears that Harvard Real Estate (HRE)--which commissioned the ill-fated project--had ambitious plans for the $100,000 sign. The sculpture's designer, Wendy Kondo, noted in September that HRE officials worked to get a variance from the Cambridge Zoning Board in order to construct the special sign in Holyoke Center. "We wanted something that wasn't just a sign, but that would be a landmark for the Square," Kondo said.

Well, it looks like the ambitious "landmark" has finally been recognized as a waste of time and money. Unfortunately, later this spring, scrap metal from the sign will be used to construct a smaller version for the corner of Mass Ave. and Dunster Street. According to a statement released by HRE, the sign was removed in anticipation of upcoming street performances in Forbes Plaza. "The sign was erected knowing that its would probably be modified," said University spokesperson Jonathan B. New. "The smaller scale sign is though to be best for the Shops."

Although HRE evidently expects us to believe that the destruction of the original sign is part of their brilliant master plan, other explanations seem more cogent. As Mark Gauthier, a chaplain for the United Ministry at Harvard, presciently noted in September, "Harvard has been around for 350 years. This modern art stuff is trendy--it's a nineties thing and it's going to be out." Well, at least HRE's foray into modern art is going to be out--out of Holyoke Center, anyway.

The sign was ugly and we are thrilled to see it removed. But, considering the amount of time and money involved, HRE should have consulted students and potential customers, in order to anticipate reaction. Of course, if that had been done, the eyesore would never have been constructed.