W. Lax Springs Into Big Match

WOMEN'S LACROSSE NOTEBOOK

By Eric F. Brown

Spring, however annoyingly-late it may be, is finally making its entrance in Cambridge.

So it isn't really the best time to be taking a weekend trip into Vermont.

Except, of course, if you are Harvard women's lacrosse team (9-3 overall, 4-1 Ivy), which is going up to that state squished between New Hampshire and New York to take on the University of Vermont tomorrow.

The game was supposed to be the Crimson's last of the season, but Tuesday's match against Dartmouth was postponed to May 7 because of poor field conditions.

Vermont represents a minor challenge for Harvard. Yes, the Catamounts are ranked 14th in the nation--only nine spots below the Crimson--but there is not a whole lot of parity in women's lacrosse.

The teams ranked directly above Vermont--Boston College and New Hampshire--have lost to Harvard by a combined score of 41-10.

Yet tomorrow's game should not be a total sleepwalk for the Crimson, as it will be on the road. However, a Vermont win would certainly qualify as a stunning upset.

Remember, the Catamounts defeated the Big Green of Dartmouth, 10-8, earlier this season. At the moment, Dartmouth is ranked seventh in the nation, two spots behind Harvard.

So the Crimson cannot be caught looking ahead to next Saturday's game, or else that bus ride home tomorrow will be real long.

Harvard Honors: A Harvard player has been awarded an Ivy League Player of the Week award for the first time all season. Co-captain Francie Walton won the defensive honor for her play against Brown and Cornell, who combined for only seven goals against Harvard.

Walton also tallied 15 ground balls last week, and she scored a goal and three assists against the Big Red.

Junior Megan Colligan also received accolades with a spot on the Honor Roll due to her four-goal week, including a team-leading three tallies against Cornell.

Around the Nation: Princeton is on top of the women's lacrosse world, at least for the moment. Last week the Tigers whipped nationally-ranked Delaware, 17-7, and Penn State, 10-3. And if that wasn't enough, they also squeaked by third-ranked Virginia in overtime, 15-14.

Then on Tuesday the Tigers bludgeoned the Big Red of Cornell, 18-6. Princeton (13-0, 6-0) thus clinched its first outright Ivy League title and is ranked first in the country.

The former number one team, Loyola, lost its first game of the season to fall to number four. Loyola defeated Harvard earlier this season, 11-10, on a disputed goal with :07 left in regulation.

Besides Princeton, probably one other team will make the six-team NCAA Tournament. That battle for that last spot will be waged next Saturday when Dartmouth hosts Harvard. The teams are tied for second place in the Ivies with 4-1 league records.