Lake State Destroys Boston University in NCAA Final, 9-1

Five-Goal Second Period Breaks Open Game for Lakers; Championship is Lake Superior State's Second in Three Years

By David S. Griffel

ST. PAUL, Minn--If it's any consolation, Harvard looked a whole lot better than Boston University did against Lake Superior State. Furthermore, Harvard wasn't humiliated on national television the way BU was.

Fresh off three straight overtime wins, including a 3-2 squeaker against the Crimson, the Lakers (31-10-4 final) humiliated the Terriers (32-8-1 final), 9-1, in the NCAA championship game Saturday night at the St. Paul Civic Center.

"I was losing my hair in those OT games and kept finding it in my helmet," Laker goalie Blaine Lacher said. "I said to myself that a 4-1 or 5-1 score would be better for my nerves."

A score of 9-1 wasn't too bad, but don't tell that to Laker Coach Jeff Jackson.

"I'm chewing on Tums," Jackson said at the post-game press conference. "I don't show much emotion on the exterior, but inside I'm a mess."

How bad was it for BU?

It was so bad that when Laker Kurt Miller put his team up 3-0 at the 5:07 mark of the second period, BU had as many shots as the Lakers had goals--three. The shot chart showed 21 for Lake State at the time.

"We were so bad and they were so good," BU Coach Jack Parker said. "We had a lot of guys not show up for some reason."

Not even the appearance of 1980 U.S. Olympic hero and BU alum Mike Eruzione could help the Terriers.

Rob Valicevic opened the scoring for Lake St. 13:40 into the game with a high writer over BU's starting goaltender, Derek Herlofksy.

Matt Alvey and Miller extended the lead to 3-0 in the second before BU's Rich Brennan scored on a power play 9:40 into the middle period deficit into a 5-4 victory over Lake state in last year's tournament final.

"Coming into camp this year, I was still crushed," Lacher said. "But this was unbelievable."

NCAA Notes

Lake Superior State forward Sean Tallaire was named the tournament's Most Outstanding Player. Tallaire racked up three goals and three assists in the two games at St. Paul..Tallaire, Laker captain Clayton Beddoes, BU forward Mike Pomichter and Laker defensemen Steve Barnes and Keith Aldridge were named to the All-Tournament team. Harvard captain Sean McCann missed the team by three votes..Lake State has won the championships two out of the last three year. The Lakers downed Wisconsin in 1992 before losing to Maine last year...Lake state's three national championships have come Olympic years--1988, 1992 and 1994..,Lake State also beat BU in an NCAA semifinal last year, 6-1...The Terriers lost for the first time this season since the Beanpot opener to Harvard on February 7. LAKE SUPERIOR STATE, 9-1 at St.Paul Civic Center(4/2/94) Lake State  1  5  3  --  9 Boston U.  0  1  0  --  1

First Period

LSS--Valicevic 17 (Miller, G. Tallaire) 13:40

Second Period

LSS--Alvey 6(Strachan, Barnes) 3:14

LSS--Miller 19 (Valicevic, G. Tallaire) 5:07

LSS--Brennan 8(O'Sullivan, Pomichter)9:40. (PP)

LSS--Ness 10 (Valicevic, G. Tallaire) 14:13. (PP)

LSS--Barnes 7 (S. Tallaire, Strachan) 17:26.(PP)

LSS--S. Tallaire 22(Strachan, Morin) 19:17(PP)

Third Period

LSS--Matteucci 6 (Beddoes) 4:40

LSS--S. Tallaire 23(Barnes)12:51

LSS--Valicevic 18 (Bilben, G. Tallaire)18:32

SavesLSS--Lacher 2-10-12-24;BU--Herlofsky 11-8-x-19, McKersie x-2-10-12.

Power Play:LSS--3 for 6; BU--1 for 5

Attendance:16,085