This Week at Harvard

7 April Thursday

Exhibitions

Busch-Reisinger Museum. Through April 24. "Danish Paintings of the Nineteenth Century from the Collection of Ambassador John L. Loeb Jr. " Features works by several masters of Danish art.

Fogg Art Museum. Ongoing. " Decorative Arts Gallery. " 17th- and 18th-century British and American silver, furniture and porcelain. Some of the rare treasures are the " President's Chair" and the "Great Salt."

Through July 17. "What, If Anything, Is an Object?" A host of seemingly disparate pieces that together explore the work that objects, including art objects, actually do.

Through Dec. "Shades of Significance: Tonal Values in abstract Art." From its origins in Cubism, through its dominance of the post-war American art scene, to its current co-Existence with other approaches to imagemaking.

Ongoing. "The Maurice Wertheim Collection. " Wertheim, Harvard College class of 1906, assembled one of the most remarkable private collections of the late 19th-and early 20th-century European art in the U.S., and bequeathed it to the Fogg in 1950.

Through June 12. "Power, Pleasure, Pain: Contemporary Women Artists and the Female Body." Representations of the female body appear throughout the history of Western art. Since antiquity, male artist have appropriated the female body as the locus of formal, erotic or symbolic meaning.

Museum of Comparative Zoology, Agassiz Museum.Through April. "Everybody Likes Trilobites. "Some 300 trilobites--prehistoric anthropods, sea-dwelling creatures distantly related to insects--from the collection of Thomas Johnson remarkable for their exquisite condition and international range.

Pusey Library.Through June. "Fifty Years at Harvard: The Theodore Roosevelt Collection, 1943-1993." History, contents and uses of the collection.

Sackler Museum.Through July. "Impressions of Mesopotamia: Seals from the Ancient Near East." Featuring 24 seals and charting their stylistic and functional development over 3000 years of history.

Through July 3. "Pattern and Purpose: Decorative Arts of Islam. " This exhibit presents a selection of the ceramics, metalwork, textiles, and other decorative media that have been created to beautify life in the Muslim world.

Through Aug. 21. " East Asia in the Nineteenth Century." Drawn from the permanent collection, this exhibition features Chinese, Korean, and Japanese art from the 19th and early 20th centuries.

Semitic Museum. "Capturing the Holy Land: M.J.Diness and the Beginnings of Photography in Jerusalem." A selection of rare prints of Jerusalem and other sites in the Holy Land, made from the original glass plate negatives of 1854-60.

Talk

Meeting on Ethnic Studies at Harvard.A meeting to discuss the development of an Ethnic Studies Department. Free pizza. For more information, call Merry Jean Chan at 493-3481. Strauss Common Room, 9 p.m.

Theatre

Iolanthe.Come see fairies invade Parliament! "Iolanthe" is one of Gilbert and Sullivan's best, fraught with confusion, mixed identities, love triangles, and includes what is generally considered G&S's best patter song. Agassiz Theatre, 8 p.m. $3-$7 for students. Call 496-HRGS for tickets.

Love, Sex and the I.R.S.Roommates Jon and Leslie have trouble making ends meet, until Jon starts filing their tax returns as a married couple. The only problem is Leslie's a man! Now the I.R.S. is after them, and Leslie has to decide how far he'll go to protect a friend. Leverett Old Library, 8 p.m. $4 for students; $3 for Leverett residents. Call Jose at 493-3798 or Terri at 493-3556 for tickets.

TrIIIo.Featuring "Maelstrom," Nightmare," and "The Family." Join us for a truly experimental evening featuring three original one-acts. Join a cast of unusual characters in their world of relationships gone haywire, families torn apart and dreams and nightmares lost in a maelstrom of reality and fantasy. Loeb Experimental Theatre, 7:30 p.m. Free.

America.A.R.T. New Stages at the Hasty Pudding Theatre. The newest work by African-American writer Suzan-LoriParks is a creative meditation on the character of Abraham Lincoln and his impact on black people throughout the century following emancipation. Hasty pudding Theatre, 8 p.m. $18-$36. Call 547-8300 for tickets and more information. 8 April Friday

Concert

Radcliffe Choral Society.Presents " A Celebration of Spring," with special guests, the Brown University Chours. Works to be performed include compositions by Bach, Bartok, Joplin and Michael Haydn. Sanders Theatre, 8 p .m. $5 for students.

Winthrop House Music Society.The Mid Sussex Boysingers, conducted by Roger Lunn. Di Giovanni Hall, 29 Mt. Auburn St. Donations will be taken.

Conference

Preparing for the 21st Century: Reclaiming the Initiative in Africa.Through April 10. An inter-collegiate conference on Africa including speakers and workshops on such issues as Africa's relations with the international community, the impact of a non-racial South Africa and the role of women in Africa. For more information, call Koranteng Ofasu-Amaah at 493-0326. Registration fee of $15, reduced rate for Harvard affiliates, Kennedy School of Government.

Film

Harvard Film Archive.Carpenter Center. $5 for students. "The Crimson Kimono" at 5 p.m. "My Crasy Life" at 7 p.m. "Son of the Shark" at 9:30 p.m.

Theatre

The Fire on the Snow.A symbolic interpretation of Captain Scott's 1911 expedition to the South Pole. Men at the edge of the world and at the edge between life and death. Cabot House Underground Theatre, 8 p.m. $2:$3 at the door. For tickets, call Will Posten at 493-3160.

Iolanthe. Please see Thursday's listing.

A Little Night Music. Spend a weekend in the country with a band of delightfully mismatched lovers in turn-of-the-century Sweden as they cavort to Sondheim's wittiest lyrics and most beatutiful music. A bittersweet comedy filled with passion, romance and foolish shenanigans. LoebMainstage, 8 p.m. $5 for students.

Love, Sex and the I.R.S. Please seeThursday's listing.

TrIIIo. Featuring "Maelstrom,""Nightmare," and "The Family." Join us for a trulyexperimental evening featuring three originalone-acts. Join a cast of unusual characters intheir world of relationships gone haywire,families torn apart and dreams and nightmares lostin a maelstrom of reality and fantasy. LoebExperemental Theatre, 7:30 p.m. Free.

America Please see Thursday's listing.9 April Saturday

Concert

Music Department. The Fromm ContemporaryMusic Series presents London Sinfonietta Voices,with Terry Edwards coducting. The program featuresMonteverdi's Lagrime d'Amante and Luciano Berio'sCries of London and Canticum NovissimiTestamentum, with Luciano Berio conducting.Sanders Theatre, 8 p.m. Free.

Conference

South Asia: Prospects and Progress. Aconference on South Asian issues. Discussions willinclude talks on South Asian domestic policy,economic development, women's issues and humanrights. Starr Auditorium, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.,Kennedy School of Government.

Stonewall at 25 and Beyond. Harvard LawSchool will host a conference exploring lesbianand gay legal issues. Panels will focus ondevelopments in family law, national initiatives,issues of community and goals for the future.Pre-registration is $40 for nonlaw students; $5for law students, Call 495-4500 for moreinformation. The conference will run from 9 a.m.to 8:30 p.m.

Film

Harvard Film Archive. Carpenter Center.$5 for students. Jean-Pierre Gorin presents at 5p.m. David Brown Tribute at 7 p.m. "A New Life" at9:30 p.m.

Asian American Film Festival. Screeningof films directed by Asian Americans that dealwith social, cultural and political issues.Harvard Hall 104, 7 p.m.

Theatre

Double Take. Featuring performanceartist Dorit Cypus. the show follows a womantraveling through myth, history, fantasy, dreamsand desire. Fogg Art Museum, 8 and 10 p.m. $5 forstudents.

The Fire on the Snow. Please seeFriday's listing.

A Little Night Music. Spend a weekend inthe country with a band of delightfully mismatchedlovers in turn-of-the century Sweden as theycavort to Sondheim's wittiest lyrics and mostbeatutiful music. A bittersweet comedy filled withpassion, romance and foolish shenanigans. LoebMainstage, 2 and 8 p.m. $5 for students.

Triio. Please see Friday's listing.

America. Please see Thursday's listing.10 April Sunday

Concert

Indian Classical Music Concert. WithMaestro Ustad Alla Rakha, tabla; Ustad ZaleirHussain, tabla; Ustad Sultan Khan, sarangi; andFazal Qureshi, tabla. Paine Hall, 7:30 p.m. $15for students.

World Music. Sanders Theatre, 7:30 p.m.call 426-2222 for tickets and more information.

Film

Harvard Film Archive. Carpenter Center.$5 for students. "L. 627" at 9:30 a.m. John Baileypresents at 5 p.m. "Paris Awakes" at 7 p.m.Quentin Tarantino presents at 9 p.m.

Talk

Radcliffe Culinary Friends Event. "TheRoad to Cookbook Success: From Publication toPopularity, a Panel Presentation." LongfellowHall, Radcliffe Yard. Admission by ticket only.For membership and ticket information, call496-8651.

Theatre

A Little Night Music. Spend a weekend inthe country with a band of delightfully mismatchedlovers in turn-of-the century Sweden as theycavort to Sondheim's wittiest lyrics and mostbeatutiful music. A bittersweet comedy filled withpassion, romance and foolish shenanigans. LoebMainstage, 8 p.m. $5 for students.

America. Please see Thursday's listing.11 April Monday

Film

Harvard Film Archive. Carpenter Center.$5 for students. "China Moon" at 6 p.m. "Street ofNo Return" at 8:30 p.m. " North by Northwest" at5:30 p.m. "Orpheus" at 7:30 p.m. "L.627" at 9:30p.m.12 April Tuesday

Film

Harvard Film Archive. Carpenter Center.$5 for students. "The Marriage of Maria Braun" at5:30 p.m. "Stardust Memories" at 7:30 p.m." Northby Norhwest" at 9:30 p.m. " L.627" at 9:30 p.m.

Theatre

America. Please see Thursday's listing.13 April Wednesday

Film

Harvard Film Archive. Carpenter Center.$5 for students. "The Innocents" at 5:30 p.m. "TheMarriage of Maria Braun" at 7:30 p.m. "L.627" at9:30 p.m.

Theatre

America Please see Thursday's listing