Bachrach Enters Gubernatorial Race

"Unabashed Liberal" Opposes Death Penalty; Supports Job Training Day, Care

By Manlio A. Goetzl, Special to the Crimson

BOSTON--Highlighting the contrast between his liberalism and the centrist views of his opponents in the Democratic primary, former state Sen. George Bachrach (D-Waterdown) formally entered the race for governor yesterday.

"If I am disturbed by the course of this Republican administration, I am equally disturbed by the course of the Democratic party in recent years," Bachrach told an audience of 40 supporters ion the steps of the State House. "I am distressed by an attempt by some Democrats to be more Republican than the Republicans."

The 42-year-old Boston lawyer in vying for the Democratic nomination against state Sen. Michael J. Barrett '70 (D-Cambridge) and state Rep. Mark Roosevelt '78 (D-Beacon Hill).

The winner of the September primary faces Gov. William F. Weld '66 in the general election in November.

Bachrach, who says he is "an unabashed liberal," has taken a different view some of the campaign's hottest issues--namely, crime the economy and welfare--than Weld, Roosevelt or Barrett.

For example, Bachrach says he does not support the "three strikes" crime proposal which has been endorsed by his Democratic opponents and the governor, as well as President Clinton.

Under this plan, violent criminals would be sentenced to life in prison after they commit their third offense.

In contrast, Bachrach says he opposes life terms for convicts. He said Massachusetts is wasting money paying for criminals too old to commit crimes.

"It dosen't make sense to pay Harvard-level tuition to keep convicts in jail if we're not even going to teach them to read or write or try to get them off drugs," Bachrach said. "And it's just as ridiculous to run geriatric wards for toothless old criminals who are no longer dangerous."

Bachrach instead prefers a "two strikes and you're out" proposal combined with increased funding for substance abuse programs and for the Department of Youth Services.

"I won't wait for 'three strikes' to jail dangerous criminals," Bachrach said. "I want them off the street now, not after their third violent offense."

In another liberal turn, Bachrach strongly opposes the reinstatement of the death penalty, a measure which is supported by both Weld and Roosevelt.

The state has not used capital punishment since 1947.

"It has nothing to do with a system of justice," Bachrach said.

Bachrach said in his speech yesterday that for the state's economy to grow, Massachusetts needs less regulation and more spending on infrastructure.

"We must eliminate business regulations which serve no legitimate public purpose but hamper capital investment and economic growth," Bachrach said. "It is our overregulation which shows growth and prevents new companies from moving in."

Bachrach also chided Weld for letting the state's infrastructure fall into disrepair.

"We will rebuild the roads, bridges and ports which this administration has let fall apart, so commerce can flow and new companies can grow," he said.

Bachrach said that, unlike Roosevelt and Barrett, he is "not timid about supporting a progressive, graduated income tax." Such a tax would make people with higher incomes pay a higher tax rate.

"This is the most helpful tax relief package that working and middle class citizens have ever seen," Bachrach said. "Under the proposed plan, 92 percent of our citizens will get a tax break."

Bachrach said he would change the welfare system by offering job training and day care to the poor.

"We will not join those who attack the poor through punitive measures," Bachrach said. "But rather, we will engage in new job creation in partnership with the private sector."

Bachrach heavily stressed yesterday the differences between himself, Weld and his fellow Democratic challengers.

"On important issues such as crime, welfare reform, economic development, education and other critical matters, I will offer my own package in stark contrast with both this Republican governor, as well as the Democratic legislators running for governor," Bachrach said.

Hecklers twice disrupted Bachrach's speech yesterday. On one occasion, an elderly woman yelled at Bachrach for his pro-choice stand on abortion.

And at the conclusion of his speech, a man in the audience screamed, You're just another Dukakis."

Bachrach's announcement here in Boston was part of a busy day of campaiging for the former state senator.

Bachrach also gave speeches to kick off his candidacy in Pittsfield, Springfield, Worcester and Fall River.