Chameleon Officials Say Group Not a Final Club

Two student officials of "The Chameleon" yesterday said the mysterious new all-female group is a social organization backed by Harvard alumni, not a final club.

But the two students, Esther E. Chang '95 and Yulia Shapiro '95, did not explain the source of the organizations money and would not name the alumni connected with it.

"At this particular time they want to remain anonymous," Shapiro said. "That was their decision and we were asked to protect their anonymity."

Last week the group invited about 400 undergraduate women to an event at the Copley Plaza Hotel Grand Ballroom, which costs about $2,500 to rent.

Chang and Shapiro said the Copley Hotel event is not part of a "punch" for new members.

But the alumni connected with the group eventually "will be able to design a punch or criteria for selection," Shapiro said.

The alumni chose who would receive the invitations, according to Shapiro. "It was the choice of the alumni with the help of our recommendations," she said.

Chang and Shapiro, who are both editors of TheCrimson, said they are "campus representatives" ofthe group. Chang had earlier denied any tie to theChameleon, but later modified her statement to sayshe was working for "friends" who organized theclub.

The two students' names appeared on a businesscertificate for the Chameleon registered with theCambridge City Clerk's office.

The certificate listed 100 Walker Street, thestreet address of Cabot House's Cabot Hall and thelocation of the Harvard Yearbook, as the newgroup's address.

Chang and Shapiro, who are both top-rankingofficers of the yearbook, strongly denied that theChameleon has any connection with the publication.

They chose the address because "we needed astreet address and that is the only street addressaround here we knew," Shapiro said. The yearbook's mailing address is a post office box, not100 Walker St., she said.

The two Chameleon representatives are seekingto change the address, Shapiro said, because it isagainst Harvard rules for students to register abusiness with a campus address.

Shapiro emphasized that The Chameleon has noties, financial or otherwise, to the yearbook.

"It's not being funded by the year-book," shesaid. "We're not writing checks."

The group is also seeking nonprofit status andwill not remain a business, Chang and Shapirosaid