Waters Named Sociology Head Tutor

Recently Tenured Teacher of 'Race and Ethnic Relations' Will Replace Davis

By Stephanie P. Wexler

The sociology department recently appointed Professor of Sociology Mary C. Waters as head tutor. She will take over on July 1.

Waters replaces Professor of Sociology James A. Davis, who announced his retirement earlier this year.

"I'm happy to do it," said Waters, who received tenure last fall. "I like working with undergraduates so this will allow me to meet all the concentrators instead of just the ones in my classes."

Peter V. Marsden, chair of the sociology department, said this week that he thinks Waters will make an excellent replacement for Davis.

"I'm a big Mary Waters fan," Marsden said. "She is a faculty member who does everything well, including counseling and advising. Professor Davis has done a great job as Head Tutor, but I think Mary will put her own stamp on it, too."

Davis announced last semester that he will step down as Winthrop House master and professor of sociology at the end of the academic year.

"This is a lucky break for undergraduates in Sociology," Davis said. "She is a super teacher and scholar and a very mentoring person."

The head tutor is officially in charge of approving course and requirement decisions for the department, according to Davis.

"The head tutor is also responsible for the sophomore year sequence for concentrators and acts as a general advisor for sophomores," Davis said. "I'm certain that Mary will be great."

Waters currently teaches Sociology 60, "Race and Ethnic Relations."