Schlesinger Library Director King Is Dead

Patricia M. King '59, Pforzheimer Foundation Director of the Schlesinger Library, died of lung cancer Tuesday. She was 56.

King oversaw a tremendous expansion of the library, which is devoted to the history of women in America. In the time since she was appointed director in 1973, the library more than tripled its holdings.

In 1987, King orchestrated a $3.4 million renovation to accomodate the library's growth.

In a statement released yesterday, Radcliffe President Linda S. Wilson expressed sorrow over King's death.

"She really gave us what the Schlesinger Library is today--a beacon for women's history and for women, a symbol for women's significance and potential," Wilson said.

"She gave us so much--her friendship, her creativity, her ingenuity, her steadfastness, her wisdom and her loyalty," Wilson said. "She gave us hope and high expectations."

King was one of three Radcliffe officers to administer the College during the sabbatical of then-President Martina Horner in 1985.

In addition to her work at Harvard, King chaired the board of the National Council for Research on Women from 1989 through 1992 and served on the membership committees of the American Antiquarian Society and the Massachusetts Historical Society.

She was also a trustee of the Boston Heart Foundation, a corporation member of School Volunteers for Boston and associate editor of American National Biography.

King received her bachelor's degree in history from Radcliffe, and a Ph.D. in Medieval History from Harvard University in 1970.

She is survived by her four children, Victoria E. King, Ellen SteinSamel, Mark A. Stein and Amy L. Stein; her mother Amy B. Miller; her brother Donald K. Miller, Jr. and three grandchildren.

Her husband, Samuel W. Stein, died in 1988.

The funeral service will be held this afternoon at 2 p.m. at Christ Church on Garden Street. In lieu of flowers, donations may be sent to the Schlesinger Library for an endowed fund to be established by her friends and family.