Carnesale Named Provost

Kennedy School Dean to Replace Green; Seen as Steadying Hand for Mass. Hall

By Nan Zheng

Dean of the Kennedy School of Government Albert Carnesale will replace Jerry R. Green as provost effective July 1, President Neil L. Rudenstine announced this afternoon.

"He has all of the personal qualities that would be important in a role like this," Rudenstine said. "He's a wonderful person and an ambassador both outside of the institution as well as inside."

Carnesale's appointment to Harvard's number two post, which was identified as a strong possibility in The Crimson last month, came almost a month after Green departed under circumstances that have never officially been explained.

Unrealistic Expectations

In an interview this morning, Dean of the Business School John H. McArthur suggested that Green left, in part, because too much was expected of him.

The dean said he thinks the role of the provost should change under Carnesale.

"We had collectively unrealistic expectations about what a difference a person can make," McArthur said. "I don't think the general idea would be that all we need to do is add a person. We need to think of alternative models."

Carnesale, who has been the dean of the Kennedy School for three years, comes to the central administration at a troubled time. Two of the University's five vice-presidencies are currently vacant, and some officials have talked of growing chaos in Massachusetts Hall.

Steadying Force

Carnesale said his experience as dean could make him a steadying force in the central administration.

"I've enjoyed working with him [Rudenstine] for the pat three years," Carnesale said. "I look for ward to working more closely with him and other people of the University."

Fundraising Experience

With Harvard's $2.1 billion capital campaign scheduled to kick off on Friday, Carnesale's fundraising experience as Kennedy School dean made him a very attractive candidate to be provost, Rudenstine said.

"He's involved in fundraising at the Kennedy School, and that's an added advantage," Rudenstine said. "One aspect [of the capital campaign] is raising money and one is to explain to people about the needs of the University and the opportunities. He's had to play all those roles one way or the other."

Emphasizing the importance of academically planned activities, Carnesale said he hopes to build on Green's efforts to integrate the University.

"Provost Green started to define this position," Carnesale said. "While Provost Green has been involved in interdisciplinary activities, it's also what I've done in the past. That's a clear indication that I've dedicated myself to interdisciplinary activities."

Carnesale said his background as dean of the Kennedy School--unlike Green, who is an economics professor--will give his tenure as provost a different focus.

"I'll probably play more of a role in international matters and foreign policies and not as active of a role in economics," Carnesale said.

Rudenstine said there were 15 candidates suggested for the post, nearly all of whom came from the University.

"I took a month to ponder it because I wanted to make sure of what I was doing," Rudenstine said. "It's not a horse race. It's question of fit between the experience and interests."